Need the Best bang for buck dive computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver myself who recently had this same debate I would recommend the Mares Puck. I tried the Zoop and it's also a good PDC but for the price (174 from Leisure Pro) The Mares is a steal. It's kind of tricky to learn to use at first with the whole 1 button thing but after you get used to it it's a pretty decent pdc for an incredible price.

Aha just the answer i needed. I've read mares puck is awesome.

Btw what's pdc.... personal dive computer?

What else can i buy from leisure pro.?
I can't carry a knife in a plane. Maybe a compass or under water whistle or flashlight?

Already have wet suit, fins, shoes .

I have a US divers snorkel and mask set i got for snorkeling last year that worked.
That was around $80 In sports authority.
Can i still use it for scuba?

Planning to buy a dive skin in the dive shop nearby.

Dive shop is lending regulator and BCD for Bonaire.

Thanks

1 more vote for the Subgear XP10. It does everything a rec diver needs (air, nitrox),cheap and the batteries are standard+user replaceable. Besides, this is the only bive comp that offers data download/PC-link at a reasonable price (~5$ infrared dongle). Others want to cash 80+$ for a simple usb cable...

Pretty much anything you would ever need.. They ship from Jersey so you would get it quick.
As far as computers, I have been happy with the Zoop. Good question for the board and you got some great responses. Have a great trip.

Pretty much anything you would ever need.. They ship from Jersey so you would get it quick.
As far as computers, I have been happy with the Zoop. Good question for the board and you got some great responses. Have a great trip.

My guess is Dive logging ( into a PC) is optional right ....mostly for experienced divers? If that's the case I may just get the Mares puck.

Also is this a reputable store , has free shipping!
Mares Puck Wrist Computer

Thx :)

Kris,
whatever brand/model you buy, make sure you learn how to proeprly use it.
Some manufacturers / dive stores includes for free our video tutorials when you purchase a dive computer from them.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Also is this a reputable store , has free shipping!
Mares Puck Wrist Computer
Yes, I buy from Divers Supply. And have from LeisurePro.com, Scubatoys.com, Scuba.com, DiversDirect.com. DiveGearExpress.com - there's at least a dozen others also. I'd also buy from Casey (beaverdivers) if I wanted ScubaPro. DiveRightinScuba.com also gets good reviews for affordable priced gear.

Btw why do u need a bungee mount for a wrist dc?
Thanks

The bungee mount is nice because it is elastic. When you're wearing gloves you can just slip it over your hand with no buckles to worry about. Also as you go deeper in a wetsuit your suit compresses and a conventional strap will become loose on your wrist as you descend, the bungee is elastic and will contract to keep the computer snug against your wrist throughout the dive.

+1 To the advice to make sure you properly master whichever computer you buy.
Read the manual cover to cover - then read it again the next day. Practice setting it pre-dive at home until you no longer need to refer to instructions. Watch youtube videos on your computer if they are available. If you are unclear or confused - ASK AN EXPERIENCED DIVER YOU TRUST TO EXPLAIN IT TO YOU. You MUST understand how to set it pre-dive and UNDERSTAND the information it gives you during the dive.
If you fail to do this it's just a piece of jewellery that won't do you any good at all.

Depends on which computer you buy and from whom..
As an example the Hollis DG03 from Divegearexpress.com has the bungee mount as a $19.95 extra.

Ah... I saw from the dss site. The zoop ine does not come with bungee. .. wondee what size bungee it is

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom