Need the Best bang for buck dive computer!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP, another thing you can do i use leisurepros price match policy. Once you find the puck on leisure pro there will be a form fill it out and they'll match the price from the site and then take 5% more off. Also when buying from leisurepro you get the free class which will help you master your dive computer. Have fun! :)

---------- Post added May 25th, 2013 at 07:23 AM ----------

And yes PDC is personal dive computer

OP, another thing you can do i use leisurepros price match policy. Once you find the puck on leisure pro there will be a form fill it out and they'll match the price from the site and then take 5% more off. Also when buying from leisurepro you get the free class which will help you master your dive computer. Have fun! :)

---------- Post added May 25th, 2013 at 07:23 AM ----------

And yes PDC is personal dive computer

Thanks man. ....

I just submitted the form for mares puck.... theirs is $198.... divers supply sells $174.

Also will the online instruction video or class only be Avl when u buy from them. ... otherwise is it avl elsewhere like a YouTube from other divers?
Thx

---------- Post added May 26th, 2013 at 05:44 PM ----------

I just ordered the mares puck from leisure pro for $166 after a price match.

Can u guys advice me on this:

My dive shop is renting out equipment like Bcd, regulator etc. Since i mostly will only dive in warm water mostly once a year. ..... am i better off renting it....?

Reason I'm asking is because I see a lot of cheap bcd and regulators for sale in
Craig list. Mostly from New divers like me who just didn't want to pursue diving. Seems legitimate. Is itok to buy from them and get it checked or serviced in LDS?

If yes then what brands do i look for apart from asking if it ever malfunctioned or under warranty etc?

Thanks

When you receive the computer it will come with instructions on how to get to the classes and activate them. As far as equipment, if you're only diving once a year there's really no reason to buy gear it's better to save your money for the dive trips. If you feel you might have the time for some local diving and the deal is just to great there's no reason you can't buy used gear and get it serviced with your local LDS. It's ultimately your choice but to dive once a year it's not really worth buying your own gear.

was looking for a back up, saw this thread and bought a DG03 w/bungee mount.

Hi guys. ...

I'm new to scuba board. I live near Philly.
Getting PADI certified in a month. ..I have done confined dives in a pool now with PADI training ongoing.

Right now. ... I'm going to Bonaire with my dive club in a month. ....a week's stay in a dive resort.

Please suggest the best bang for the buck dive computer there is. I prefer the cheap and best. ...doesn't have to connect to my tank. A wrist watch type would be great. But since I'm new I'm open for advice.

Please give me the model and where to buy? Can i buy used?
:D
Thanks Much
Kris

G'day, Kris!
It really depends what is your money budget! If you are really up to cheaper models that get mounted on your wrist without air integration - try Mares Puck, Mares Puck Pro, Cressi Leonardo. These dive computers are really good platform for the starters. But they don't have standalone digital watch mode. If you may afford spending up to 700USD - check out Oceanic OCS and Scubapro Meridian. These dive computers are very sophisticated buddies and last for years. You also may have a look at Oceanic GEO 2 - decent dive comp as well!
Check this domain to get few more ideas: Dive Computer Expert Reviews - Finding the Best Scuba Computers For You

All the best!

Jay

Thanks guys! Just got my mares puck and other stuff from leisure pro. They did a pm with another store.
Gonna read the computer stuff this weekend. :D

Thanks guys! Just got my mares puck and other stuff from leisure pro. They did a pm with another store.
Gonna read the computer stuff this weekend. :D
In addition to reading the dive computer manual, I suggest you also take the Mission Puck online class and play with the virtual Puck in our simulators.
You got it for free since you purchased your dive computer from LP.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Suunto Zoop is an excellent entry-level dive computer. Shop around online and there are some very real bargains to be had. I've seen them on offer circa $150.

DSS bungee mount is available for that also.

Multi-mix computers are essentially a waste of time. If/when you ever get to using deco gasses, you're going to want a computer with a much more robust algorithm than recreational offerings. By the time that happens (looking forwards hundreds of hours underwater and many courses later...) newer generations of dive computer and soft/firmware are likely to have arisen.
Agree here pretty much everyone I know is using a sunnto zoop/gekko so we all have yellow or grey comps strapped to our arms.

In addition to reading the dive computer manual, I suggest you also take the Mission Puck online class and play with the virtual Puck in our simulators.
You got it for free since you purchased your dive computer from LP.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Hi Albert,

Is the mission puck same as the mares puck wrist computer? Will the features be same for training via that link u sent?
I am registering for the class now.... but it's asking for an activation code.
I don't see a code in my box when i opened for the puck. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom