Negative entry vs Using a downline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I find it kind of hard to believe that there is all this incredulity around Dan's statements about hot drops. There are, quite simply, parts of the world where it is really not best practice to hook into the wreck (at least, all the time). A captain that knows what he/she is doing can do a pretty good job of dropping a team on a wreck the vast majority of the time. Pulling down a line 150 feet, 200 feet, or more, with a raging current that would rip one's mask off, does not make sense. Forget someone's bubbles not making it up three feet - they aren't making it up three inches before they are history.

To another point - yes if you want to hit the wreck FOR SURE - it's nice to have a downline. But if the current is as strong as it often gets in WPB and other places, especially if the wreck is deep - it may well not be worth it. Someone talking about using finger muscles has absolutely no idea of the amount of effort it takes to get down a line in strong current. Period.

All just MHO of course. And I can't believe there are over 400 posts and I just added one LOL.

I don't have an issue with Dan's statements about hot drops ... I've done many of them in several locations around the world. What I had an issue with was his assertion that it's the only way to descend, and that only lazy captains and divers with deficient skills would consider doing it any other way.

That is ... to put it rather mildly ... organic fertilizer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't have an issue with Dan's statements about hot drops ... I've done many of them in several locations around the world. What I had an issue with was his assertion that it's the only way to descend, and that only lazy captains and divers with deficient skills would consider doing it any other way.

That is ... to put it rather mildly ... organic fertilizer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Didn't I already get all apologetic about overstating this issue to the guy that said diving with no descent line was dangerous?
I am sorry I made such a gross over-characterization. How long are you guys going to beat this dead horse?

Didn't I already get all apologetic about overstating this issue to the guy that said diving with no descent line was dangerous?
I am sorry I made such a gross over-characterization. How long are you guys going to beat this dead horse?
I'm wondering that myself. Hell, I gave it up weeks ago.

The bottom 20 feet is not as big a current as the mid water collumn, but it still is not a dramatic reduction until you are almost belly to the bottom....
[...]
At any given moment, we could drift to a point where we could suddenly see a 50 foot in diameter blowout, 40 feet horizontal to us--and a little downcurrent still hopefully....and the only way to get to it, was to get your belly on the bottom, and hand over hand your way over sand and rock--- and where there was none, sprint to the next handhold.

Sounds kind of like diving in the St Clair River with warmer water and way better viz :)

Just to switch tangents for a moment: Here's a video of last weeks dive in which the top 30' or so was pea soup. Still worth it though.

[video=youtube;jvzQPZov3_8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvzQPZov3_8[/video]

Just to switch tangents for a moment: Here's a video of last weeks dive in which the top 30' or so was pea soup. Still worth it though.

Amazing how much it reminds me of my own backyard in RI!

Thanks for posting. Brought up fun memories. Did two dives there a couple years ago. We had only 15 ft of pea soup on top. Really enjoyed the daytime night dive.

I am sorry I made such a gross over-characterization. How long are you guys going to beat this dead horse?[/QUOTE

The floggings will continue until the attitude improves.

:wink:

Wow Dale, great dive! Whytecliffe is on my list......

Sorry Dan. I wasn't intending to beat you up, but rather clarify to Kate why I took the position I did in this thread.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

---------- Post added April 14th, 2014 at 07:15 AM ----------

Love that place! It's a bit of a swim out to the day marker, but the dropoff afterward is way worth it. How deep did you go? Seems like the best part of that dive is between 80 and 120 fsw ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom