New Computer for Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have read through many threads here, and the sticky above. Would just like more opinions. When I do instruct I'm in a warm tropical area, constantly in the water (battery issues) and far away from service techs.

Don't need AI, Compass either.

Just need something reliable and suretested, what are alot of intructors using these days.

By the way, I have been using my Suunto Mosquito for 5 years now, overall it's been good, but getting old. Would like to stick to Suunto, but many of those around me this season were having issues with their D-4's, D-6's and so on.

I am trying to keep the price below $500, but am flexible for something that is both reliable and sure tested.

Most recreational computers will do what you want. The biggest thing you may look for is user changeable batteries, then keep a decent supply of batteries & maybe some battery hatches & o-rings. It doesn't take much time or skill to change the batteries yourself. Most any recreational computer should fall within your price range & most have user changeable batteries. Most Suunto computers I've seen are of good quality. Besides the D- 4, D-6's & such, there is also the Cobra, Vyper, & the new Zoop (Used to be the Gekko). With the price range you quaoted, you may even be able to get 2 computers (1 as a back- up). I have 5 computers,myself. 2 Dive Rite Duo's (dual gasses), a Suunto Vyper Air (AI & Compass), a Suunto HelO2 (AI &Trimix) & a Shearwater Predator (Trimix).

I've got 3 computers, but my favorite for teaching is my Apeks Quantum. The display is big. The menu is easy to navigate. The dive log is easy to access and very easy to read - good for de-briefing/log books. The battery is user replaceable (remove cover with a coin) and a common type which is easy to buy/source. It doesn't cost a fortune.

With with Agency are you teaching?

Reason why I am asking this is because PADI and SSI have recently approved Specialty Courses for model-specific dive computers (so far Oceanic and Aeris, but shortly there will be specialty courses for Mares, Scubapro and SubGear 's computers too); for an Instructor this mean that you can now get paid to teach your students how to use a model-specific dive computer.

Reason why I am asking this is because PADI and SSI have recently approved Specialty Courses for model-specific dive computers (so far Oceanic and Aeris, but shortly there will be specialty courses for Mares, Scubapro and SubGear 's computers too); for an Instructor this mean that you can now get paid to teach your students how to use a model-specific dive computer.

Interesting, I"m PADI by the way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom