new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again to all the great tips and advice - looking forward to being a better diver! This is a great site and resource for sure. I did notice as I navigated the site you can see what others posted on other topics, and it was funny to me that many of the negative commenters are literally complaining/negative on almost every post! So, doesn't really mean a lot - must just be grumpy divers. Thanks again y'all.

OK! Keep on keeping on @matt!

Matt,

Since you live in Hawaii, I'd recommend finding a few local experienced guides to take you diving, and also demonstrate some proper safety precautions. It's very obvious that your OW class was seriously lacking in some information, or you've just chosen to ignore it. I would review the textbook/online course whatever and compare that to what you've been doing.

What agency did you get certified with? Was this through a shop, resort, someone who was an instructor? Which shop or resort etc was it specifically? You said “some hippie girl” where did you find said girl? These are important details to the story considering you were either given really poor instructions or you just didn’t retain the information you were given.

What agency did you get certified with? Was this through a shop, resort, someone who was an instructor? Which shop or resort etc was it specifically? You said “some hippie girl” where did you find said girl? These are important details to the story considering you were either given really poor instructions or you just didn’t retain the information you were given.

:popcorn:

If you have to deflate BCD on ascent, might as well deflate it into your lungs?

If you have to deflate BCD on ascent, might as well deflate it into your lungs?
Last resort only, if you're unlucky there's some really nasty crap growing in there. You might have to fight off a case of aspergillosis later.

Someone died from that

Emergency Breathing from Your BCD: Undercurrent 06/2011

I dry my BCD without the valve dump but I’d not breathe from it unless I have to.

All kind of bacteria can develop in moist environment.
Thanks for this, when I use a question mark it's a legitimate question, not just me implying it's a good idea.

So thanks for providing good feed back :)

An edit, while the risk seems low, it looks like the method is sound.

So given the risk (that fungus), just test your BCD by inflating, but not deflating with your breath (even at surface).

And only ever breathe from it if you would otherwise die. Other than that...there must be some way to help reduce fungal growth in a BCD?

Back
Top Bottom