new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing the videos! I noticed the guy in the second video is definitely holding his breath. One thing they taught in the class is if you hold your breath while scuba diving you WILL die for sure. But that was another thing I thought they taught that wasn't totally true. I bet you could stay underwater for over two hours if you hold your breath and take air as needed while staying at a constant depth?
It also looks like these guys are super deep (based on the colors). Another thing they taught was colors are less vibrant at deeper levels which I never really thought of before, but looking at my red anchor in the previous pic you can see it doesn't look so red. I don't think this technique would work at a shallow inner reef depth of 30' or so.

Yes different colors of light disappear at various depths. It is not really a good way to judge depth in videos though as many other factors affect what you see. For example of someone uses color filters, is under an overhang that reduces the available overhead light, is using lighting, cloud cover etc etc etc.
1420717678.jpg

No you will not die if you hold your breath at a constant depth. The problem is that if you hold your breath while you ascend you could get seriously hurt from lung overexpansion injuries. Instructors try to teach you good habits that will work under all conditions until you develop more experience and knowledge.

Not necessarily deeper, not all locales are the same for light and viz etc. Sure they may well be, but could just as easily not be deep.
I think they were using nitrox tanks from a very split second frame I saw on the boat which I assume means they go deep and use to decrease risk of the bends.

I understand you - I just don’t agree with you. To me, testosterone levels don’t excuse one from taking personal responsibility.

I just got certified in 2015 and, while my class/pool dives were good, my OW referral dives were crap - basically, 1 skills dive and 3 where I essentially dove with the rest of the group on the boat with my instructor nearby. However, I educated myself in advance and read up and learned as much as I could.

One thing the PADI training hammered home was buddy diving - so not sure how a newly certified OW diver could ever get Solo was OK?

If the OP is for real and the OP's luck doesn't hold out he'll be taking full personal responsibility for his folly. We'll read about it in the A & I site.

One thing they taught in the class is if you hold your breath while scuba diving you WILL die for sure
Do it the wrong way, and you'll be lucky to only spend six hours in a chamber. If you're unlucky, you'll spend the rest of eternity six feet under. But what you claim is hyperbole. If you do it right, it's OK.

I bet you could stay underwater for over two hours if you hold your breath and take air as needed while staying at a constant depth?
That's called skip breathing, and it's a bad idea.

I think they were using nitrox tanks from a very split second frame I saw on the boat which I assume means they go deep and use to decrease risk of the bends.

Nitrox is not for deep dives. It is for longer dives at your chosen depth or shorter surface intervals or just to feel better because of reduced nitrogen.

Why assume anything? You can very easily research what Nitrox is and the benefits and restrictions of diving with it versus air!

(Mod edit)
I have read people doing stupider stuff on here. In fact the Aya Napa 4 springs to mind. However new / young divers need guidance not a roasting on t'Web. I think Matt is listening but impetuous. K

Thanks again to all the great tips and advice - looking forward to being a better diver! This is a great site and resource for sure. I did notice as I navigated the site you can see what others posted on other topics, and it was funny to me that many of the negative commenters are literally complaining/negative on almost every post! So, doesn't really mean a lot - must just be grumpy divers. Thanks again y'all.

Thanks again to all the great tips and advice - looking forward to being a better diver! This is a great site and resource for sure. I did notice as I navigated the site you can see what others posted on other topics, and it was funny to me that many of the negative commenters are literally complaining/negative on almost every post! So, doesn't really mean a lot - must just be grumpy divers. Thanks again y'all.
Keep learning, and keep having fun. I personally do a mix of 4 kinds of diving: practicing skills, photography, teaching, and guiding. Photography is what I enjoy the most, but I try not to neglect the skills practice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom