New Galapagos video part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello Uli.

Yes I was surprised about the hammerheads too. Divemaster said they won't come near because of your bubbles. Didn't seem to make much of a difference to me. They came right up whether I held my breath or not.

Looked to me they sensed your energy or presence. Stay calm and relaxed, they get close.

I usually positioned myself up front. I noticed if people behind me were moving, the hammerheads stayed away or suddenly bolted.

You can kind of see it in this video.

[vimeo]6439356[/vimeo]

I saw all parts already and I am envoius :) ...Joking. Hoping for a nice best-of, soon. Will you make a commentary? A couple of weeks ago my wife and me tried to make our own voice-over and we were surprised about the result. The key was the recording under our huge mosquito net over the bed;-) The room was really "dry" then, very good result with a Zoom H4 audio recorder.

Yes, I am working on some narration. I hate the sound of my own voice, but I need to do something. At least a main intro. I also like to make 5 minute preview videos, which is something I also need to work on. I promised the friends I met on the boat to get them a finished video/dvd by the end of the month, so that's my current priority.

Uli, I've done a little experimenting with narration and voice overs. Take a look at my Belize and Roatan preview videos as well as my Indonesia parts 3 and 4.

I hate the sound of my own voice and I think the results are a little cheezy, but it seems to keep the viewers attention.

So, I watched it now. Cheesy? Mhh, no, not to me. As a viewer it is kind of likeable and far from bad. The voice itself is Ok. The sound quality should be improved. How do you record? We learned that we like our voices better with good recording. As I said before the Zoom H4 under the mosquito net was nice :)
Maybe turn the volume of the music down or your voice up. Then it is easier to understand what you are saying. The film could have original sound overwater and maybe some artificial underwater. If there are scenes with poor sound take it from another one. I friend of mine is a docu filmer and he gave one or the other tip recently. I didn't work on the sound to much except the last video where I composed own music, did the narration and included original sound. Voice loud, the rest more as backround. Unfortunately, marinevideo.eu is down at the moment, so I can't show. Hopefully, I don't sound like a wannabepro :) I am far from it but I keep trying.

I would go on working on the narration. It will guide the viewer.

I use a USB mic connected to my PC. The mic is good quality, but my desk workstation is not the best for sound recording. I could try under the desk with a few blankets around to absorb the hard reflections.

I agree good narration really adds to the video. Problem is good narration is not easy. For me, bad narration can destroy a video making it worse than no narration at all.

Speaking naturally, quality of the voice, quality of recording, the writing, etc.. It's a work in progress.

That's right. But progress makes our hobby interesting. Speaking naturally is somehow the biggest challenge. We had so much fun with it :) I tried the blanket as well but I couldn't read my text without a light. With the light it startet to get uncomfortable.

I am sorting and editing all my HD footage at the moment. That's a lot of work.

Back
Top Bottom