New Galapagos video part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have big problems writing the dialog. Everything I write screams wannabe or boring high school marine biology. For me, interviews of myself and fellow divers seem be easier and sound more natural.

hey ron , when you get your recording gear dialed, please fill me in on what works. i'd like to start doing some narrative work with my videos in the future!

Interviews are the addition. I understand narration as a guidance, so it is a mixture of information about dives sites, animals, stuff, other divers maybe, ship...... It should fit to the images. To write it is difficult, I know. I tried it many times and only the last video is with narration. All the others are without or with narration from Marcel, the co-owner of marinevideo.

Thank you for sharing such fabulous video!!! what month did you for this trip? Is there certain season to see whale sharks?

Thank you for sharing such fabulous video!!! what month did you for this trip? Is there certain season to see whale sharks?

Thanks for the compliment. I went in August. I believe the best time to see whale sharks is July-October. At the beginning of the trip the boat guide guaranteed we would see a whale shark. I thought that was a pretty bold prediction. We saw 13 whale sharks.

Here are 2 more parts of my video

[vimeo]6439345[/vimeo]

[vimeo]6454478[/vimeo]

Thanks MisaC. To be honest, UW video is not that difficult. You pretty much just point the camcorder and hit record. The editing can be a pain, but once you learn the basics, it goes fast.

I am very very fortunate to dive great sites and have a good camcorder/housing. UW video is a great hobby and sharing is a big part of the enjoyment.

Ron

Hey Ron,

I'm in Quito now having just finished a week out in the Galapagos. Conditions continue to be great. We dove darwin 8 times over 2 days. We saw whale sharks on all dives except for 2. Of the 6 dives where we saw whale sharks, every dive had multiple whale shark encounters - generally between 2-4 whale sharks per dive. I was able to get good ID shots of several whale sharks and submitted those to whaleshark.org. Three whale sharks were new to their database and given the names G-046, G-047, G-048 respectively.

Hammerheads on every dive throughout the week (except for our check out dive), frequent galapagos shark sightings. Wolf was teeming with galapagos sharks with many seen on dives there. Sporadic manta sightings throughout the week, although i didn't get any close encounters with one. Occassional dolphins, frequent turtles.

Did not personally encounter any silky sharks although our DM claims he saw a few at wolf (i think he may have been confusing them with small galapagos sharks). Saw only one black-tip reef shark and that was from the boat. We had a small bait ball under our boat on the day of departure with bonito hitting very small bait fish from below and pelicans from above.

Sadly, a diver died on the peter hughes boat the day we arrived at darwin. I wasn't able to get any details on that incident though (I was on the explorer ventures boat).

I dove a 7mm with 3mm gloves and 5mm booties and was fine for all of the northern diving. I added a 5/3 hood for the southern dives and was never cold.

All in all, a great week of diving. Shot lots of video and had a good time.

In regards to comparing cocos to galapagos, they are similar in a lot of ways. definitely more galapagos sharks and whale sharks in galapagos, saw more dolphin/tuna/black-tips/white-tips/silkys in cocos. Of course, i'm basing this off of my limited personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. Cocos is warmer diving, generally 5mm with gloves and full-foot fins with hotsocks was perfect for me. Galapagos was a bit colder but not too bad and as I said above I was comfortable in my 7mm.

One limiting factor of my week long liveaboard to galapagos was that it only allowed for 3 days of diving up at darwin/wolf. that's the best diving there, imho. while on the other hand, cocos takes a day of traveling to get to, we were able to dive a lot more days on cocos once there as there was a lot less moving from site to site.

I think both are fantastic sites, both are personal favorites and I hope to return to both. If you want to see big whale sharks, I imagine darwin is as sure of a bet as there is anywhere in the world.

video to follow...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom