New LG OLED Plant. Predator 2 Pretty please!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnnyC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just saw this on appleinsider.com. Apparently LG is opening up a new OLED display factory.

Considering the rabid refusal to upgrade to the Petrel by quite a few of us, myself included, primarily due to the preference of the OLED screen (especially in caves, MUCH easier on the eyes), I'm hoping Shearwater might considering releasing a Predator 2 using the new hardware of the Petrel 2, with all of the features and bonuses that come along with it (hello AA batteries!!!), but with a nice big OLED screen.

Please? Pretty pretty please?!

Apple Watch supplier LG Display plans to spend $4.2B on new OLED plant

With the rumors of Apple potentially switching to OLED for iphones in the future, it might make large, affordable OLED screens available on the market. HINT HINT HINT SHEARWATER!!!!!

I know the follow-up from Shearwater will be an "I'm sorry but...," but we can always hope!

Shearwater would have to make sure the OLED had a sufficient lifetime. Part of the reason I bought a Petrel 2 is because my Liquivision OLED screen became so dim that you could not read it in a dark room. And I know a lot of other people that had the same problem with their OLED screens.

But I will agree OLED screens are great when new.

Petrel 2.OLED??

Jokes aside, I prefer the Petrel screen to the Predator screen but this would be a fantastic option for divers. What's power consumption like relatively-speaking?

Petrel 2.OLED??

Jokes aside, I prefer the Petrel screen to the Predator screen but this would be a fantastic option for divers. What's power consumption like relatively-speaking?

Don't know about the difference power consumption, I tend to change batteries relatively frequently, enough that I only ever once got the battery warning. And remember doing a straight comparison with a Petrel using an off-the-shelf AA is going to be different than using your Li-SOFeLMNOP battery of choice is going to be different than a Predator. I think I've seen mentioned by Tyler maybe, the consumption of Petrel during use on some thread. I seem to remember it being super low, but I don't recall seeing a comparison between the Predator and Petrel. I'd be curious to see a comparison between a stock Petrel and one with a similar sized OLED screen, being the only difference.

I'm surprised to hear you like the Petrel screen over the Predator. I found even on the lowest setting the Petrel was much harsher in the cave, almost glaring. On the surface the Petrel is more readable, even in open water, but I'm only ever on the surface for a couple minutes at most.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom