New member looking for advice on used gear prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gnuorder

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I don't dive much any more so I'm selling some of my gear to my nephew and his girlfriend. It's two BCs and two regulators, two tanks plus some extras that I will just give them. The BCs are Oceanic Probe Kevlar Bioflex in real good condition. The regulators are Oceanic as well but I can't tell the model. The primaries and secondary second stages are Oceanic too but again, I dont' know the model. One says Alpha on it. The other has nothing but Oceanic. I had them checked out a few years ago but haven't dove since then. I can post pics if needed.

Take some close up pix - and post them here on scubaboard and onto Tampa Craigslist. Youll sell those tanks first, I reckon. Theres some on Tampa CL for $65 a pop that look brand new. You should consider finding the actual model of those Oceanic regs though...they sell for 100-400 brand new - all depending on the type.

I suggest have all the gear inspected and serviced. If all of it passes and can be serviced, then sell it for half what a new comparable unit would cost.

Dive gear wears out from use and deteriorates from non-use / sitting. Unless you don't care for this nephew make sure it still works as designed.

I suggest have all the gear inspected and serviced. If all of it passes and can be serviced, then sell it for half what a new comparable unit would cost.

That's about right.

The BCD's are actually pretty good models. Oceanic doesn't make these anymore, which is a shame but you can still buy similar models from other manufacturers for about $250. They look to be in very good condition so you should ask at least $100, maybe $125 considering the condition. If you were going to sell that BCD to a stranger you could ask $150 and probably get it if you were patient. Since you're selling to family you probably don't want to do that.

The regulators are basic piston types that have unbalanced second stages. For a serious diver these are not the regulators you want but for warm water diving that isn't too deep they'll do just fine. Oceanic regulators have a fairly good reputation. These ones would retail for about $200 new so you should sell them for $100 to be fair.

The tanks can't be used as they are. They need to be hydro'd. They would appear to be about 15 years old but from the looks of them they've been stored well. I would expect them to pass hydro. New price for these cylinders is about $150. This will be the second hydro so I would think you should sell them for about $50 as is.

So all in I would say ask for $500. That's a fair price. You could get more if you piece it out, have patience and sell it to strangers but for your nephew I think that's where you should be aiming. The regulators and the tanks both need servicing before they can be used. Check around at local shops for the prices for that and take the maintenance costs into consideration when you decide on the final price.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom