New Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The primary value of the USA's Scuba industry VIP requirement is that it provides an income stream to LDSs. Any safety benefit is very slight, at best, and of secondary importance. Therefor, the shop that simply has the tank monkey dump out the dirt and water before tagging the tank is doing almost as good of a job as the shop that has a fully qualified inspector who drags out his tool kit and spends 15 minutes making sure that tank is up to standard.

I might agree if talking about plain ole air. Given the quality of compressors and the advent of aluminum cylinders and pressure gauges the chances of getting water in cylinder is small. But now in the age of Nitrox it is a crap shot. Take the cylinder that is O2 clean and regularly filled via PP. It goes on vacation and gets banked NITROX from a place that does follow DOT's 23.5% O2 clean rule and introduces some hydrocarbons. Now that cylinder goes back to being PP. There in lies the problem.

The scuba industry likes to say it is self regulating. But between specious reasoning behind regulator servicing and cylinders the industry is a bit of a joke.

Paid ~$150 ea. online, shipped; I put it together. No fill, no sticker.
So if you paid $150 then another $15 for visual and a possible $7 for a fill it cost $172..here in NY lds it cost $169 filled, inspected out the door.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 07:51 AM ----------

I've never had to get upset because in fifteen plus years I have never had a problem with my principles in this regard... Just lucky I guess that I haven't run into shops like yours. For sure I'd not return if I did!!!

And the liability issue IS a red herring.

---------- Post added June 12th, 2015 at 10:14 PM ----------

At least you've stopped saying people who wouldn't pay for your vis can't afford to be diving lol.
Liability is real. Say it's not to an operator who lost an leg or their life because a tank exploded during a fill. Everyone who ever had anything to do with that tank will be investigated for possible liability. If being charged $15 once a year for a visual that involves an eddy test ( using a $900 to $1200 machine) if tank is alum, cristolube on threads, possible brushing if steel tank, paying the person to do it and having it returned filled all for $15 , is too rich for someone , then they should really think if diving is for them.

But the LDS owner said his son just screwed on the valve, But a sticker on it and charged him for a VIP... Now, If he was smart... The kid would have talked to the guy and made a customer out of him for the future... Charging him just pissed him off and showed that the whole VIP on a new tank was a joke...

When people feel that they are being taken for a ride... It leaves a bad taste in their mouth that may just cost the LDS future sales and have the story told many times.. I'd rather have a person telling others how great the guy was at the dive shop and I should have bought the tank there to start with..

Jim...

I might agree if talking about plain ole air. Given the quality of compressors and the advent of aluminum cylinders and pressure gauges the chances of getting water in cylinder is small. But now in the age of Nitrox it is a crap shot. Take the cylinder that is O2 clean and regularly filled via PP. It goes on vacation and gets banked NITROX from a place that does follow DOT's 23.5% O2 clean rule and introduces some hydrocarbons. Now that cylinder goes back to being PP. There in lies the problem.

The scuba industry likes to say it is self regulating. But between specious reasoning behind regulator servicing and cylinders the industry is a bit of a joke.

O2 cleaning is another ballgame with a completely separate rational. If O2 will be introduced into the tank at concentrations that are higher than is recognized to be safe, then the tank and valve do need to be O2 safe. Of course, there is still some controversy as to what that level is. It is my impression that the majority of EAN providers are still working with the 40% standard that seems to have worked quite well for so many years.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 11:05 AM ----------

If being charged $15 once a year for a visual that involves an eddy test ( using a $900 to $1200 machine) if tank is alum, cristolube on threads, possible brushing if steel tank, paying the person to do it and having it returned filled all for $15 , is too rich for someone , then they should really think if diving is for them.

Why are you doing an eddy test on a modern aluminum tank, besides the obvious attempt to amortize the toy you bought?

I went into a shop recently to get a steel and a 6061 Al tank filled. Shop wanted to do a eddy test on the aluminum tank because the current VIS did not indicate it had been done. I do like the shop so I did have them fill the HP100 but took the Al80 down the road a mile for its fill. Even good shops may lose $$$ when they get stupid. It is not the $$$ as much as the stupid nonsense. Your shop, your rules, my $$$.

BTW, who do you think will be paying for this elaborate investigation you think will happen when there is a tank accident? OSHA, DOT, not any shop. I doubt if the investigation would go much beyond the shop's facilities and only far enough to find a primary cause they can point at. What kind of VIS record does your (and other shops) keep that would be available to such an inspection?

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago when diving at vortex, they would also empty the tank before filling nitrox. As PSI stickers or any stickers goes and verifying goes. Are there any, stickers ( Other than your own, and locals) that you accept? This seems really extreem, unless of course you have a lot of counterfieting of stickers going on.

Why empty tank for partial pressure fill? Are they not organized enough to figure out how much O2 to add and then top off with clean air ? Same reason we do not usually honor PSI sticker, unless the inspector can show us that they have liability insurance.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 02:09 PM ----------

If you try to get the PSI stickers on line through them then you have to have a current certification on file with them. Get them anywhere else an who knows what you are getting. You can just use the inspector # to get them. you have to have an account and be logged into that account to even process an order with that person inspection number. IOts like a bank card with multi layer passwords to get there.

OK. . .

So if I really wanted to get "real" stickers, I would take the inspector # off a VIP sticker and order PSI "official" stickers online.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 02:25 PM ----------

It seams that your standards go so far beyond the norm (legal norm) that i probably would not use your shop. No one seams to be able to pass your criteria for stickers but you. Even from a local shop ,,,you in fact do not know if sommeone stole a pad of stickers from a known shop and are just applying them to tanks. So fact is YOU JUST DONT KNOW about any tank that comes in your door. This has the sounds of threads long ago about having to have a vis prior to every nitrox fill ,,, based on the inspection was good only for the moment the sticker was applied. If a tank was taken on a boat and filled from any system but the inspecting shop it required another vis. You cant inspect your own tanks. All these threads have been around and did nothing more than create unrest, fear or suspicion. What do you think drove so many of us to take an inspection course from agencies like PSI. I can tell you,,,,, it is all about tanks older than XXXX cant be filled, its about who filled your tank last, its about your elevated standards. All of which are moot cause you cant even protect yourself from your own tank rentals. In your behalf its your shop and you can do what you want, if there is any other choice for fills , you will get the pass by for the other shop from me. One last thing . I own my own steel tanks. The are steel because of what so many florida shops were doing to refuse filling al tanks whithout thier sticikers on it.

Keep your principle. Put whatever gas you like in your tank. Just do not get upset when a shop refuses to fill the tanks. Go to a place that really needs the money from a fill. For a lousy $7 fill we can refuse to fill it as it would not affect business one bit. Liability issue is real. Knowing where last inspection was done by a real facility is a starting point of any investigation and at least a possible lead for a shared liability.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

So if you paid $150 then another $15 for visual and a possible $7 for a fill it cost $172..here in NY lds it cost $169 filled, inspected out the door.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 07:51 AM ----------

Liability is real. Say it's not to an operator who lost an leg or their life because a tank exploded during a fill. Everyone who ever had anything to do with that tank will be investigated for possible liability. If being charged $15 once a year for a visual that involves an eddy test ( using a $900 to $1200 machine) if tank is alum, cristolube on threads, possible brushing if steel tank, paying the person to do it and having it returned filled all for $15 , is too rich for someone , then they should really think if diving is for them.

In that regard you are right, Now what tanks require an eddie tast, yet there are those that refuse to fill a tank because of no eddie sticker on a 6061 almost new tank? Unless you take the PSI stats of tank explisions as being propoganda then you know there has not been any material or manufacturing problems with any 6061 al tanks. So the eddie issue is now moot. I understand the position of any shop that refules to fill other than 6061's. But to say that any tank made before 95 can not be filled is extreem. IF ou dont want to vis teh non 6061 tanks then you just dont buy the 1k$ eddie machine and tell your few customers you cant eddie those tanks. I think the 15$ position you present does not what bothers any one. Its everything else. How hipicritical is it to say you cant fill a tank and then have your kid who has no formal , legal required traiing filling tanks. Im not saying this is the situation in your shop but it is in the industry and you have to share the blunt of the dissatisfaction of what others are perhaps doing to you with thier extreem practices. Like wise your practices do not promote good customer relations with orther shops.

Im not sure about this but as long as you have a valid PSI cert and you follow the rules they will represent you. contamination n a tank can never be traced to a specific prior shop. internal cracks ect can be as least tagged to faulty inspection proceedures. and again this is not the issue with 6061's or steel tanks.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 02:44 PM ----------

awap's post 44 is right on

---------- Post added June 13th, 2015 at 03:04 PM ----------

O2 cleaning is a pass the buck regulation. PSI admits that 23.5 is valid cause if you pp blend a 23.5% tank you could start empty , put pure o2 in it and top off with air. That very explanation still founds it self in exceeding 40%. BTW the 23.5 was origionally lower %. Oh and thst 23.5 also involved 23.5% in a vessel presurized greater than 50 psi. Technically the threat of a tire with tire air in it at 100 psi far exceeds the same 23.5 at 50 psi clean air in a scuba tank.

Yes liability is real, only because of the extent of damage when things go south. Statistically the risk is minimal in the US. 4:1 safety factor, hydro every 5, vis every year, even a lame one, and the chance of an incident is almost nil. Then there is the thing about the vis being good for up to a year. The one year is based on 2 fills per week. if you are ding 4 fills per week you need a vis every 6 months. There is a premis that even with a crack the tank may last a year so if none is seen then a crack should not progress in a years time to ber a problem under proper use. So now that brings in to play proper use. adn that is handling and filling practices, including cave fills. Still even with that not knowing the suorce of a sticker has no connection to improper handling or use.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom