New to dive computers few questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lastly, with the Tech version (to be released later today) you can plan and analyze any series of dives using Trimix and multiple tanks.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

:eek:fftopic:

HEY! :shocked2:

When were you going to tell the rest of us about this!!! I wanna play!

:focus:

Wow thanks guys and girls , blown away by the info in such a short time, ive been on a few forums asking relatively stupid sounding questions and never seen such a response. definitely a great welcome aboard. much appreciated.

back to the matter at hand, or rather wrist.
i dive mostly on Hookah (atleast once a week) as i live too far away from a fill point to make it feasible using tanks so i dont need air integrated or console styles.
im looking at a wrist or watch style, the more ergonomic low profile the better as im usually sticking my hand under ledges dragging cray fish out (southern rock lobster)
i wouldnt mind computer connectivity but i dont think its essential.
ill be looking at doing my nitrox course later in the year so one capable for that purpose would make sense.
the other thing is batteries if i can change them over it would be a bonus.

im currently having a look at the links provided which im sure will lead me up the right path and no doubt confuse me for a bit.

once again thank you for all your info and advice.

forgot to mention my budget, around the $600-$1000 mark is about where i want to be and sticking well clear of less reputable makes.
An integrated compass would be handy, do any of the computer operated compass do tracking? would be great to jump im swim around and track straight back to the boat.

thanks again

The Scubapro Galileo Luna w/o transmitter fits your budget. It has an integrated digital compass.

Last edited by a moderator:
While all will calculate repetitive dives, I don't know of any that will allow you to parametrize a surface interval to calculate NDL for a future dive. I believe they all perform that calculation assuming the actual surface interval you have performed up to that point.

The Atomic Cobalt includes a planning function that displays no-stop times in a list, and allows you to enter additional surface interval and/or change the gas mix, and have the list update instantly. It's the "what can I do after lunch" calculator. It is illustrated here: Cobalt Guide:No-Stop Time Calculator

An integrated compass would be handy, do any of the computer operated compass do tracking? would be great to jump im swim around and track straight back to the boat.

If you mean provide a homing device, then no. There are such devices, but they require a transmitter on the boat and a receiver/ display on the diver. Most compasses will provide a simple bearing and 180° reciprocal setting function as an analog compass does. Some allow for more elaborate markers to be set, like 90° or 120° bearings. Here's the compass on the Cobalt: Cobalt Guide: Dive Screen: Compass Display

HEY! :shocked2:..... When were you going to tell the rest of us about this!!! I wanna play!.......

:eek:fftopic:

Released yesterday night. You can use divePAL Tech to plan/analyze/log multilevel dives with infinite number of Trimix gasses.
Current beta testers have been automatically upgraded to Tech level :wink:

:focus:

.....An integrated compass would be handy, do any of the computer operated compass do tracking? would be great to jump im swim around and track straight back to the boat.....
While inertial navigation with map matching is nowadays a reality, unfortunately it has not (YET) reached the dive computers market (forget homing devices .... they are useless). But the technology (hardware and software) is available and I believe that one day it will happen also for dive computers
Meanwhile we are getting ready for this; in fact, when we log a virtual dive performed in eDiving, we actually store the 3D path (actually it is 4D .... Easting, Northing, Depth and TIME!) and soon we will port this feature to divePAL.
Soon our dive logs will have dive profile AND dive path (and of course underwater maps ... we have a lot of those already).

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I'm working as an Undergraduate Research Assistant to people precisely trying to do that with airplanes and it's not nearly as simple as you would hope/think. With 2D vehicles it's rather simple. However, once you add a 3rd spacial dimension as well as additional problems such as current, it all gets trickier. Trickier isn't impossible, it just means bulkier and more expensive and less accurate. Stored dive path is going to be a future feature....just not in the very near future.

Back
Top Bottom