Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

The_DivePirate:
This may be tough, but wouldn't figure just anyone would want to join a bunch of DM's/DMC's talking shop. I guess, it would have to be on honor system, even if you made it a page for those thinking of going PRO, and left it open, it would most likely cut down on the mayhem. Or maybe, this was too much too ask for!
Tsk, tsk, just trying to get a clear picture of what it is you're asking for.

The_DivePirate:
Sorry for taking up everyones time, just figured that with all the excellent info the senior members have, maybe a person on their way up the ranks could benefit from this info without having to be subject to all the flaming??
This is why we have a report button on each post (save your own posts). :)

As a DM-C I'd support a specific forum for DM/DM-Cs.

It would be good to have a place to call our own. Where you could post a "How would you handle XXXXX?" without the discussion devolving into a "well, if you were NAUI vs PADI..." slugfest.

Similar to some of the caveats about what's fair game on DIR, Solo Divers, and other fora (forae? forums?) we could establish some rules of engagement to keep the conversation focused on DM/DM-C issues.

I think having instructors posting and chiming in would be great; we could get their perspective on issues/challenges/opportunities.

Are we up to 10 yet?

:)

I believe we are being shot down, do to the fact it would be hard to POLICE fraudulant DMC's. Since there are no actuall ways too determine who are actually DMC's and not DMC impersonators. Sorry guys/gals, I tried.

Joe

The_DivePirate:
I believe we are being shot down, do to the fact it would be hard to POLICE fraudulant DMC's. Since there are no actuall ways too determine who are actually DMC's and not DMC impersonators. Sorry guys/gals, I tried.

Joe

I think you are reading too much into questions being asked as the idea "being shot down."

I say let's give it a go!

I think we can risk a few DM-C "posers." What are they gonna do? Sneak into quarries and lug tanks around and do 800yd surface swims for no good reason!

EXACTLY!!! Heck, they could pack a few tanks for me! It might also help shed some light to those thinking of going pro before they actually take the PLUNGE. If you had a little insight before you actually made the jump, would you have still made the jump? were there things that you would have liked too have asked, but were afraid too at the risk of feeling awkward or incompetent? If you could talk to other DM's/DMC's or even instructors, other than yours, would you feel a little more at ease in asking the question, and if so, wouldn't that benefit the whole diving community?
Just a thought.

El Orans:
OK, what's the tally?

I count 11 "in favor" between the two threads on the subject. (My be more, but some I wasn't sure from the remarks where they actually stood, so I stopped counting when I got to 11.

:)

I'm seeing 10:
1:DP
2:Kevfin
3:Archangel
4:jvevea
5:GK
6:Cream
7:MH
8:RJP
9:ELMO
10:SF

Not sure where a couple others stand, but 10, within the first 18 hrs. Seems viable.
Any others?

Back
Top Bottom