Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

Archangel:
DP has a VERY good idea here. I too will throw my hat into the fray to start a new forum.

I say if my boy T wants this to happen, then I'm in.

I think we should have a private forum where we can talk about secret DM stuff.
That is if Rif Raf like myself would be allowed in?:wink:

On a serious note if I can help in any way I would be delighted.
I believe my profile is in order.
And I qualify as a dive master or above for two agencys.

Milo

WE may have our page? we just have to come up with some criteria for access, and figure out who will deal with this process of reviewing the applicants. I will step up, and volunteer as a part in this process. I will also, volunteer to help Mod this page if that is what it takes. Any ideas?
Joe

The_DivePirate:
WE may have our page? we just have to come up with some criteria for access, and figure out who will deal with this process of reviewing the applicants. I will step up, and volunteer as a part in this process. I will also, volunteer to help Mod this page if that is what it takes. Any ideas?
Joe

I'll volunteer my help in any way you can use me also.

Milo

Throw my name in there :coffee:

-J.-

ScubaMilo:
I'll volunteer my help in any way you can use me also.

Milo

Milo I don't know if i want riffraff like you moderating any forum here on SB :popcorn:

Sending some love for you and Larro all the way to the west coast...

-J.-

johnny_bravo:
Milo I don't know if i want riffraff like you moderating any forum here on SB :popcorn:

Sending some love for you and Larro all the way to the west coast...

-J.-

Johnny B,

SHHH, your gonna ruin my chances.:D
Just kidding.

How have you been.
What do you think a forum for DM'S.
Great Idea huh.

Good to hear from you again,
Milo

This is a neat idea, or really two neat ideas. What started as a forum for folks interested in going pro morphed into a forum for DMs as well. How about identifying this as "Going Pro" with criteria for entry being AI, DM, or actively pursuing AI or DM. If in hot pursuit, the candidate will have an instructor who can be named as part of the entry criteria. If already a DM, there's a paper trail to show it. The list could also be expanded to include lifeguard, or swim or snorkling instructor.

If would be good to have a safe place to talk about going pro, much as the discussion in the Instructor forum is a place to talk about teaching issues. Granted, some DMs and related pros also go there...

El's questions were good in that they stimulated ideas and discussion. I hope it continues for a few days...

El Orans:
DMs and/or Instructors could be granted access by default. Their credentials have already been checked.

Who is to approve new members?

DP and Kev could be the chief mods, guys you have a REAL ASSET in Milo stepping up-he is an instructors instructor. Also you have humble me that will pledge to be a mod also.

Also, how to get/get let in:

I think we already have it set up, the small chinga that it takes to get into the instructor forum is a natural for this with a small reason, why?

Topics for heated debate:

Was it worth it?
How good was your instructor?
What did you wish you learned but didnt?
For all the work you are about to do/did, is the responsiblity given lacking?
Are you going into this for the right reasons?
What do you expect to learn?
What to you really need to have 'spot on' before you start (the stuff not written in the sales pitch)?
What about insurance, where to get it. . . cheep?
The real aspect of liability.
Do the DMs really get the babes?

How is that for starters?

T

Archangel:
DP and
kev could be the chief mods, i will pledge to be a mod also.

T

Hey late bloomer get in line!:11: (kidding)
It's about time you showed up to ask for a spot in this.

No really though seems like we've got at least 3-4 of us comited to helping out logistically.
And quite a few interested members.

I say we use an open enrollment where people ask to be members, they give a short reason why they think they should be made a member.
After review, membership is granted(or denied) to those with legit reasons for wanting to be involved.

Milo

Archangel:
DP and Kev could be the chief mods, guys you have a REAL ASSET in Milo stepping up-he is an instructors instructor. Also you have humble me that will pledge to be a mod also.

Topics for heated debate:

Do the DMs really get the babes?

T

Well of course us DMs get all the hot babes :D

I'll support a ScubaMilo for mod and I would help if needed as well.

Cheers.

-J.-

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom