Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

Well I've been on here a little while and have a few posts and think a DM/DMC forum would be great. It would be fairly easy to weed out the imposters. We could just look for the haggard, worn out, red eyed, tankstretched arms that we get from going through the process! If they don't got em well they will get em soon! Seriously though to get in the instructor forum there are a couple mods who have to ok it. Now being that this would out of necessity be on the honor sytem due to not being able to verify DMC status it would be up to us to police ourselves with the report post buttons and maybe some FRIENDLY pm's to those of questionable motives. There is nothing wrong with someone asking what is involved with getting DM. Or how did you handle this issue with a student or instructor even. I enjoy being a DM and even with my sometimes overly critical or perhaps even blunt remarks just want to see people get the info they need and want. Sometimes you gotta hit em with a 2x4 to get their attention. So count me in! I would like to see those of us who support this fill out their profile at least.

I also think it would be great. Don't think it needs to be a private forum, just a forum dedicated to relevant DM/DMC type questions with a couple guidelines regarding what is and what isn't ok.

Frankly isn't everyone a potential DMC

I would strongly encourage you to make it a members only forum. Anybody interested in going pro can join, but they would have to provide some info. A small hurdle may keep some riff-raff out and the thought of being booted out of the member-only forum may prevent people from being unprofessional.

Info for joining can be simple, like agency going pro with and contact e-mail address. If you are already pro --- agency and # should suffice along with e-mail addy...

The_DivePirate:
Not if their not pursuing a PRO Career. Some have NO intent in becoming PRO.
I know DMs who haven't stayed current but still have the cert. Also know people who might only do DM for the knowledge but have no interest in working.

Kevfin:
I would strongly encourage you to make it a members only forum. Anybody interested in going pro can join, but they would have to provide some info. A small hurdle may keep some riff-raff out and the thought of being booted out of the member-only forum may prevent people from being unprofessional.

Info for joining can be simple, like agency going pro with and contact e-mail address. If you are already pro --- agency and # should suffice along with e-mail addy...
DMs and/or Instructors could be granted access by default. Their credentials have already been checked.

Who is to approve new members?

Kevfin:

A members only forum was my intent, hopefully to cut out some of the rifraf of an open forum. It is in review as we speak.(well type anyways) I think we could work out the legistics with a few Mods and staff members.

I didn't mean too be a pain I just STRONGLY about this issue! I just believe that this will help all divers involved. We'll see?

We will select a group of us, that is approved by the SB STAFF/Mods. Some credentials could be, Rescue Divers and above, Divers that have completed profiles that would support the divers intent of pursuing a career in diving, may be a few things to consider. I'm open! Any other Ideas? Chime in guys/gals!!

Thanks for considering this forum!!!

Dive safe/Train hard,
Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom