Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

Seems we are gaining quite the crowd!!! hooray!! Seems we need to work out the details of access to the site, it's in the hands of the SB staff now. We can only hope.

I'm happy to contribute stupid questions, bizarre observations, and annoying idiosyncrasies.

:)

Hey guys...

First off, I like the concept (in spite of MB liking it :D ).

DMs have a place already as they are allowed in the I2I forum. This is a place where DMs and Instructors can talk about students behind their backs. :D

MANY folk have a question or more about going pro. Would you really hate it if we let those who are on track to be pro and the pro-curious in to ask questions and give their opinions? After all, JustLeesa and Dee have their hands full checking references for the I2I forums, and we would have to find additional staff to check the rather amorphic crteria. Of course, I am sure that current Instructors and DMs will pop in to give their insight.

NetDoc:
Hey guys...

DMs have a place already as they are allowed in the I2I forum. This is a place where DMs and Instructors can talk about students behind their backs. :D

MANY folk have a question or more about going pro. Would you really hate it if we let those who are on track to be pro and the pro-curious in to ask questions and give their opinions? . After all, JustLeesa and Dee have their hands full checking references for the I2I forums, and we would have to find additional staff to check the rather amorphic crteria Of course, I am sure that current Instructors and DMs will pop in to give their insight.

Not sure how to read this? "Would you really hate it if we let those who are on track to be pro and the pro-curious in to ask questions and give their opinions?"( seems private forum) While, "After all, JustLeesa and Dee have their hands full checking references for the I2I forums, and we would have to find additional staff to check the rather amorphic crteria. Of course, I am sure that current Instructors and DMs will pop in to give their insight.( seems, just another open forum) We'll just have to wait and see?:51: :51:

Joe

Archangel:
DP and Kev could be the chief mods, guys you have a REAL ASSET in Milo stepping up-he is an instructors instructor. Also you have humble me that will pledge to be a mod also.

Also, how to get/get let in:

I think we already have it set up, the small chinga that it takes to get into the instructor forum is a natural for this with a small reason, why?

Topics for heated debate:

Is Tevis worth it?
How good was Tevis' instructor?
What did Tevis wish he learned but didnt?
For all the work you are about to do/did, is the responsibility given lacking?
Is Tevis going into this for the right reasons?
What does Tevis expect to learn?
What does Tevis really need to have 'spot on' before he starts (the stuff not written in the sales pitch)?
What about insurance, where does Tevis get it. . . cheap?
The real aspect of Tevis' liability.
Does Tevis really get the babes?

How is that for starters?

T

I don't mind helping or being a Mod... whatever is needed...

Oh, Tevis, I see you got the DM banner, congrats... I put mine up, just for you... :D

NetDoc:
Hey guys...

MANY folk have a question or more about going pro. Would you really hate it if we let those who are on track to be pro and the pro-curious in to ask questions and give their opinions? After all, JustLeesa and Dee have their hands full checking references for the I2I forums, and we would have to find additional staff to check the rather amorphic crteria. Of course, I am sure that current Instructors and DMs will pop in to give their insight.

Chief SB'er Pete:

I couldnt more strongly disagree. When I was a DM candidate I PM'd Dee to get a look into the I2I forum and got summarily blown off as I didnt have a six digit number. She did it nicely, but blown off all the same.

Now that I have my six digit number, I am underwhelmed with the I2I forum. DP has started a groundswell here of DMs with DMs for DMs, and DMs in training, and the DM curious.

Now that I am on the other side of the fence, I am willing to help and offer advice as are all the other posters, we also have the opportunity to curb the BS on SB about what REALLY goes on as a DMIT.

MY .05 is, it is worth the extra bandwidth.

You longtime contributor,

Tevis

Kevfin:
I don't mind helping or being a Mod... whatever is needed...

Oh, Tevis, I see you got the DM banner, congrats... I put mine up, just for you... :D

You are a RIOT clown boy!

Im telling your wife that you are lying to her about going to strip bars and getting lap dances. . . as you are out at night with your fish frying canister light looking at squishy fishies with me!

Your best girlfriend, :blinking:

T

PS. Lori, can I sign up to be your tank somethingORother?

One of the criteria for creating new forums is that it should be a new subject.

DMs already have a forum in which they can talk with other DMs, that's I2I.

The new forum would be "Going Pro" and would be meant for DMs, OWSIs etc. to discuss items with DMCs.

El, would there be any harm in opening it up to the pro curious also?

T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom