Suggestion New to diving vs. New to diving PRO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
The_DivePirate

The_DivePirate

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We seem to have a forum for newbies to ask Q's about there issues as new divers, and we have a forum for instructors to talk with other instructors to talk of issues and philosiphies. But nowhere for Divers that are venturing into the professional end of diving, whether it be training to be a DM or all the way to instructor status. It would be nice to talk to others on the board that have or are having some of the same issues other trainees are having. A place to go to talk about what to maybe expect, and talk about ways to handle certian situations that recently happen during the training of new divers. I have just made the jump and would like to talk with others in my same situation. When I was first starting scuba, I came here for valid/supportive info. (fishlips_1) I've been very busy expanding my diving career and have been away for to long!! But, I'm back to help and be helped by other divers. Had been to other sites but SCUBABOARD is by far the best!!! Maybe it could be called on the PRO ladder
or something like that. Just a thought.

Dive safe/Train hard
Joe

El Orans:
Patience, my young Padawan. :)

EL,

Didn't mean to sound like I was in a rush, just trying to help out with a simple solution.

Love being called a Padawan though.(always been a Star Wars freak guess it goes without saying being born in the 70's will do that)

What do you think of a membersip type forum?

Milo

utopiadestination.com:
I am going to take the words of Tevis, and say Milo...you are "spot on"! Sounds like the best option to me too!
Beloved Lori:

I could only HOPE to learn to be the spot on DM that I have witnessed from you.

Madam instructor, I will carry your tanks for lessons on how to do the magic of tracking divers via bubbles.

Folks, we have the start of something fierce. I put my .05 in behind Milo and Lori and say hoo rah to complete limited access.

I will be the screener, someone else can chop up the posts of the buttheads that invade, and someone else still can bounce them.

Serious business, I watched Lori handle a boat full of experienced veteran divers who respected her greatly, handle a live pick up with two divers in wicked current run so seemlessly that most of the divers knew nothing was out of the ordinary. Had most if not all of the divers fawning over her.

Damn, that was good. This is one of the first questions. . .how do you do THAT?

Let the sage wisdum and learning begin,

T

Greetings all....and for my first post on ScubaBoard...

I'll throw down my vote for a DM/DMC forum as well.....I'm just starting DM with my LDS and would welcome a forum here to discuss the learning process with other DM's and DMC's.

As far as meeting membership requirements, I can provide my PADI number...or answer trick questions with trick answers....:D

Archangel:
Serious business, I watched Lori handle a boat full of experienced veteran divers who respected her greatly, handle a live pick up with two divers in wicked current run so seemlessly that most of the divers knew nothing was out of the ordinary. Had most if not all of the divers fawning over her.

Damn, that was good. This is one of the first questions. . .how do you do THAT?

Let the sage wisdum and learning begin,

T

Tevis,

As always, eliquent with your words; you know how to make a girl blush. It all starts with that meticulous dive roster, and getting to know each diver and their abilities on the way out to the site. As far as keeping track of the diver sets...it comes down to good eyes and elevation so you can see the bubbles hitting the surface. On my roster I use symbols for diver groups, therefore if I see a set of three bubble hitting the surface...I can most of the time assume who that is since I usually know what profile they were going to dive based on their certification.

Thanks for the kind words!
Lori:blinking:

There WILL be a forum... we are just ironing out the details. But I refuse to call anyone "padiwan". :D

I was just looking for a forum like this yesterday...I'd been trying to decide on DM vs. Asst. Instructor- which path to take and couldn't find a good thread. I'm in the process of DM training and wanted to see more info so I tried to join the instructor forum but was told to come back after I completed my DM.

So I am in full support of this forum (if it hasn't already been created...haven't made it to the last post yet :) )

NetDoc:
"padiwan". :D

:rofl3:

Now, see, that's funny...

Still here to help if needed...

NetDoc:
There WILL be a forum... we are just ironing out the details. But I refuse to call anyone "padiwan". :D

Thank's for the forum NetDoc, let us know if help is needed.

Milo

I guess, since I started this whole mayhem, I'd be MORE than happy to help in anyway possible!!! I'm saying a HUGENORMOUS THANK YOU!!!! to all of the staff for our new forum. We greatly appreciate the support!!!

Joe

Back
Top Bottom