New TrueFin fins.... Any comments ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They were used in Hole in the Wall. Patrick mentions how the gaps in the spine can get caught in the line at 3:10 in this video.

They were used in Hole in the Wall. Patrick mentions how the gaps in the spine can get caught in the line at 3:10 in this video.

I guess that I would have to see it. I've seen more than one style of fin snag lines. None of them were supposed to. Murphy is a bastard.

I remember on one of my early cave training dives I had created my version of a spring strap. My instructor tried a number of times to hang me up, but I could feel each attempt, and simply reached down to detach. I wasn't supposed to 'make gear' on my own like that. Then, right near the end, he got entangled and floofed the cave. First words out of his mouth? "Don't say a thing!" I didn't. I passed. I dove those until I accidentally left the fins in the parking lot. :(

We've only heard one comment before about someone temporally snagging a line while doing dive stops, but this is the first comment heard about a cave line. Judging from some designs of heel strap brackets it seems that snags can happen. We'll keep an eye on the issue and see if it is necessary to mold the rails fully tubular, or create a cave diving sleeve or something,, however doing so would reduce the self cleaning performance of the spines. ..Some divers bury the spines in silt or sand..
...The efficiency of Truefin should correlate with reduced gas consumption, which would of course be an advantage in a cave. Having said that, we have no data on oxygen consumption comparing Truefin to other fins, but rather we are inferring oxygen consumption based upon horse power required at different thrust levels during machine flutter kicking, and where at a given thrust Truefin requires less horsepower to flutter kick than all the fins we tested. The assumption is less horsepower requires less air.

.Some divers bury the spines in silt or sand..
Not in a cave, I hope! :shocked::shocked::shocked:

I think for the most part it may occur on occasion during instruction or training activities during kneeling,,, and presumably in an area of confined water or a destroyed area with loose sand/silt. Maybe that is a practice being phased out. If a group of people are involved, I would think the consensus of the group would be to not kneel or be neutrally buoyant if there would be damage to the seafloor ecosystems. ...... By the way, speaking of seafloor ecosystems, I'm surprised bottom trawling is still an allowed fishing method. Imagine a wide heavy net with weighted rollers being dragged across the seafloor scooping up most anything. Those nets are 100 yards wide.

Maybe that is a practice being phased out.
I no longer teach, but I didn't let my students touch the bottom with their fins. No kneeling ever! It's a bad habit that once introduced, it's hard to break. What is not a good idea in OW is incredibly dangerous in a cave.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom