Newbie equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maverix

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off I am a just certified newbie (finished yesterday) and hooked. I had imagined that diving would be fun but I couldn't have been more conservative with my thoughts...it is awesome to say the very least. We will be diving in Hawaii at the end of the year and I want to start amassing the bag full of equipment that I will need for the adventures to follow. Prior to the weekend I had done a little research on BC's and regulators at the local dive shops and found that one carries Aqua Lung and the other Oceanic with both shops obviously pushing there product as the best. What does everyone recommend for BC, Regulator, Console Dive Computer (not trying to shut my brain off just trying to maximize my bottom time) and any other equipment anyone thinks is beneficial. I am in the information gathering stage and just trying to learn enough to make a good educated decision. I am not sure if I want to buy a complete package or piece it together depending on the advantage financially. I am not against supporting the local shops but if I can save 30% online then that is tough not to choose. I bought my fins, snorkel, mask and other personal gear from the shop but I notice a pretty large price difference with BC's and Regulators. I know that that I am totally new and have no experience but wreck diving really peaks my interest so if that influences the equipment possibilities at all any information would be helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Maverix . . .
Welcome to the fantastic world of diving and to the Scuba Board !!!!

First let me caution you that you'll probably start receiving a lot of LDS vs Cyber purchasing arguments. Those discussions tend to get very hot and run amok - so feel free to try to keep your respondents focused on YOUR questions and issues, it's YOUR thread.

Having said that, there are an infinite number of answers for the questions you pose.

As to the regulators you mention, both are manufactured by very reputable manufacturers. You will get many advocates of each.

"Everyone" doesn't recommend the same gear configurations. You'll be receiving numerous configuration recommendations.

May I suggest that you look at the profile of each member that responds to your inquiry, select those that replicate the type and style of diving that you'll be doing, review their gear configurations and chat with them directly through the Private Message function should you want more detailed information.

Being new, I know you're confronted by what seems to be an insurmountable amount of information and choices among gear configurations.

Always keep this in mind, it's your money and your decision - both the gear and the dive.

Safe dives . . . .
. . . safer ascents

the K

I am a supporter of LDS versus On-line but having said that, the most important thing to remember is to buy equipment appropriate for your intended diving excursions. Being in a cold climate requires me to spend more for cold water gear. Both regulators and body insulation. Not everyone needs a drysuit. the correct mm of neoprene may surfice. Lastly dont skimp on equipment you truly feel you need. If its an integral part of your dive than save a little longer buy the gear you need and youll save in the long run.

Big question.... are you going to buy all at once or in segments. If all at once the LDS or online packages will save you more. Depending where you are you can ask your LDS if they will provide gear other than what is in their store. ex. They sell aqualung and you want scubapro...they may be able to help you.

As for buying seperate, start with the reg,comp and octo first... buy the best possible of all 3 of these...octo least important IMHO. I love my Scubapro d500(dx650 now). Ask others what they dive and how it breaths..... try to get a breath off of a bad reg so you know what it's like. Also take in consideration that a reg will only tell you how good it breaths underwater... some LDS have loaners to try before you buy.

Next gear to buy is a BCD again best possible... I would look into DUI or other "tech type gear" since you want to do wreck and poss other tech type diving.... some may say weight integration is good or bad. I like the weight integration.

Finally buy a suit or other stuff to fill out the needs of your diving... I buy most of this stuff online unless if on sale @LDS or if I need instruction on use.

What is a DUI and secondly what are some benefits of it or Tech Gear (this is the first I have heard of it)? As for all at once or segments that is what I am trying to decide. Is there a cost savings going one way or the other. As I see it now my interest is wreck diving but Reefs will be of interest also and I would like gear that works with both. Thanks for any and all comments!
-Mav

The best suggestion I can give regarding gear selection is to take your time. I know I was very gung-ho straight out of my open water class, but in retrospect that was not the best time to purchase much of the gear. Spend some time diving first. Try to get an idea what sort of diving you would like to be doing over the next 5 years. Also take the time to rent different configurations. By doing these things you will be in a better position to really know what you want/need in terms of gear.

The one piece of gear I would suggest you get sooner rather than later is an exposure suit. Diving is supposed to be fun, and it gets to be much less so when you are cold. A good fitting suit of appropriate thickness for your diving conditions will go a long way to making your diving more enjoyable.

Happy Hunting...

Cam

Maverix:
What is a DUI and secondly what are some benefits of it or Tech Gear (this is the first I have heard of it)? As for all at once or segments that is what I am trying to decide. Is there a cost savings going one way or the other. As I see it now my interest is wreck diving but Reefs will be of interest also and I would like gear that works with both. Thanks for any and all comments!
-Mav

DUI is a brand name of BCD.... take a look into the wreck diving forum for infor reguarding what you want to do.... tech gear is basically gear appropriate for somewhat more than recreational diving... ex. If you plan to do deep penetrating wrecks, you need different gear then if you just want to stick your head in a hole in the side of the ship. I would have looked into a BP/wing design for the BCD. The BCD I purchased was a back inflate appropriate for most diving, but now that I'm looking into doubles(tanks), it won't work. I'm just getting into this type of diving so please forgive my vagueness.

Basically my point is what was already said...take your time, research your interests, talk within the forums for what you want to dive and what you'll need... finally talk to your LDS they can help with sizes and tailor type info, but look at other manufactures before you buy. I rushed, I'm happy, but I could have bought the gear I need now then.

From someone who still thinks of himself as a newbie, a little advice. Buy something you feel most comfortable with. And don't skimp on the expense for the important gear. Tech gear is nice in some ways, but very expensive, and usually not required for the diving most "normal" people do. Some aspects of tech gear are nice though, like the adaptability. Aspects such as the ability to upgrade (is your reg nitrox/o2 compatible, your bc able to handle doubles, your computer able to have it's algorithm updated) are nice to have.

Your first step should be to sit down and figure out where you see yourself in the diving world in the future. If all you see is warm reefs and shallow depths, then buy gear that fits that scenario. If you can see yourself 300 feet down penetrating some unknown wreck, then buy gear that will allow you to do that in the future (and that is something definitely for the not so near future). Once you have your diving desires down in your head, look at what the different dive shops have, look at what the guys here tell you (except for the DIR guys....they'll all tell you if you don't have Halcyon you'll die in your bathtub) and then make your own choice.

As for my personal experience, I have a Body Glove 7mm X2 wetsuit, which I've worn in everything from 80 degree lake water to 40 degree Puget Sound. It gets cold after a bit in the SOund ( I made it an hour before I had to get out). The suit is pilling a bit now( only 50 or so dives on it. Not sure why)
My BC is a Genesis Recon, 75 lb lift. Not a bad setup, but I would have gone with a backplate/wing now that I know more about them. The back inflate is nice, although it tends to try to drown you on the surface, until you figure out the "lie on your back" floatation method. Weight integration is nice, although if I have to ditch, I'll have to pay out the arse for new weight pockets.
My reg is a Poseidon Odin/Jetstream. Bought it on the recommendation of my instructor. He let me use his a couple of times, and I like it. It's a bit on the "tech" side, but it's a nice reg. Doesn't like shallow water, though.

That's my main setup. Lots of people here will have different ideas on what is right and wrong. Just make sure you get what you feel most comfortable with, and don't let anyone pressure you into buying something you don't want.

Steve

I wish I could give you some advise on specific gear but I am fairly new myself. However, I would like to give you some advice on some of the response you are likely to get on the board. Most likely you will get a lot of response that say to rent a lot of equipment first to get an idea of what fits your need or to carefully evaluate your future diving needs and then buy what is appropriate so you don't waste your money having to upgrade later.

It is all great advice. On the other hand you need to look at your financial reality and what will get you in the water the most often. Myself, I would like to eventually get into more technical diving. However, if I needed to immediately buy the appropriate gear I would still be sitting at home saving my pennys wishing I were diving. The same is true for renting. If I had to spend $50 to $100 each time I went diving I would have maybe 1/10 the dives I currently have.

I moneys not a big issue, then by all means, try a lot of things out and buy equipment that will meet your future needs. On the other hand, if you are like me, and have limited funds look around for good deals on good, solid, middle line equipment. I myself, managed to get my reg. and BC by bartering shampoo for some rental gear the LDS had. Granted, this isn't a typical arrangement but it doesn't hurt to talk to people and ask for bargains. You would be suprised by their response sometime.

There are things I don't like about my current setup and I know that I will have to eventually upgrade, but in the meantime, I'm able to get out there and do some diving while I look and wait for deals I can upgrade to. Of course, there are also people who will say, divings expensive, if you can't afford it find another sport. They to have a valid point but hey, this is the sport I enjoy. I'll find a way to make it work.

If you can find an insane deal on some used gear that gets you into the water, don’t say no if the money is an challenge. However if you are interested in penetrating wrecks in the future, I would suggest buying some of the stuff you'll need then first. This will save you the $ you don't get back from ebay later. Having been down this road, and having $2000 worth of gear sitting in my garage that I will never use…

Regs - Most people use the following due to hose routing on doubles: Apex DS4 or Scuba Pro MK25. If you buy ether, you won’t have to upgrade/replace later. Get DIN and use an adapter for yoke - again, looking to the future. Use high quality, typically adjustable second stages. Apex TX40 or 50, not sure what the standard choices are for ScubaPro (S600?)

Gauges - If you must get a computer, get one that wrist mounts and has a gauge mode. You want to minimize the console as much as possible. Even an SPG on the wrong size of hose or not tied off properly will completely ruin a penetration dive. Any brass and glass SPG will do, they are almost all made in the same factory anyway.

BC - Get a wing. You'll end up with a doubles wing, singles wing, stainless steel plate and aluminum plate eventually. A good start is a wing in the 30# lift range and an ss plate. But the al plate as part of your next trip south and the doubles wing in a few years when you get some experience and start penetrating. As for brands, Oxycheck, Halcyon and DiveRite and a few others are the major players.

Do your resarch now, and you'll save big money down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom