Newbie equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WARNING - PERSONAL BIAS FLAG = ON

Wet suit will definitely up your comfort level - Go where you can try it on -it MUST be very snug when dry to work.

I'm a warm water fanatic, but always wear a 1/2 mil "skin" - so that would be my vote, plus a 3mm shorty you can wear over the skin. If you chill easily, or plan to dive in slightly colder water (< 80F) - buy a full 3mm suit and a 3mm shorty. If you plan to be in colder water (<75) - go for the 5mm suit/3mm shorty

Reg - I vote for simple, old-fashioned piston 1st stage, high-end second stage. If you travel, buy something that is serviced worldwide. A good shop will let you upgrade your first stage later, and recycle your piston for their rental fleet. You can probably tell the difference on 2nd stages pretty early in your dive experience, but unless you're planning to chase rays deep, or go for really cold water, a balanced 1st-stage is overkill. I dive a mk-2/s600 combination, which SP will not sell you, but a good LDS will. You can go to the mk25 later. The Apeks or Atomic lines have similar combination bias (no low 1st plus high 2nd) but be persistent.

BCD - religious war here about backplate vs vest. Go backplate if you're thinking technical later, otherwise stay simple. Again, a good shop will take your vest in trade later.

Computer - go for nitrox capable, and decide about air integration. If you integrate, you get more information, but introduce a failure mode. If you stay non-integrated, and your computer croaks on a liveaboard - you can fall back to tables and keep diving on your spg.

Good luck - keep diving as much as you can
Mark

I agree this is definitely the preferred route. The only point I was trying to make is that if money is a problem to look for deals and get the best gear you can but if it a choice between not diving or diving with equipment that may need to be upgraded further done the road, I would chose diving with less than optimal equipment.

In the long run I will most likely spend more money but at least it is in more managable steps.

steveann:
Once you have your diving desires down in your head, look at what the different dive shops have, look at what the guys here tell you (except for the DIR guys....they'll all tell you if you don't have Halcyon you'll die in your bathtub) and then make your own choice.

Wow, DIR bashing already, only 8 posts in. :1poke: You know, not all DIR folks are Halcyon-only. Some actually think that the best BC is that in which the diver is the most comfortable and safe.

Mike

try to rent diffrent types of gear, then go with what you feel is the best of the bunch, I would try to stay with brands that are readily serviced in your area. As to regs more $$$$ is not always best, but if you go with the base models you will upgrade later, why spend the money twice. BC's fit is everything, I've finally gone over to the dark side and got a bp/w, So look into that option, you may find that its right for you and save $$$, computer look at what options you want, go ahead and get one thats nitrox capable, will keep you from buying another later. (the aries atmos 2, gives a lot of bang for your buck).

Maverix:
I am not against supporting the local shops but if I can save 30% online then that is tough not to choose.

supporting your LDS is good but there is nothing wrong purchase online either, if there are extra cash laying around i said go with the LDS, also your life is depending on these equipments when you're down there, forget about how good or macho that other brand looks underwater, just get the one that you feel comfortable and ease to move around underwater.

Ok let's try to make this easier... How much can you, or are you willing to spend?
This is for the whole shabang (reg, octo, comp, bcd(bp/w), exposure protection, and any other gadget you want...please list all you need so we can help better).
Finally what time frame if you wish to break it up.
List seperate what you would spend in the 1st 4 items.

I agree with Slider, rent or borrow a few different set ups before you buy.
Also be sure whatever you end up getting can be serviced in your area unless
you are planning to service it yourself. If you do decide and buy piecemeal,
I would first buy an exposure suit before a reg or BC.

Go shopping!! Try on as many different types/brands of gear that you can get your hands on before you even think about buying. I don't believe there is one brand or type of anything that is "best" for everyone, ultimately what I think is "best" is what fits you and you are comfortable with.

For example, I dive with a Zeagle back inflate BC, Zeagle regs, an Aeris computer, old US Divers fins and mask, and a Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit. My husband has an Oceanic jacket style BC, AquaLung regs, Oceanic computer, Mares fins, a ScubaPro mask, and a Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit.

As you can clearly see, the only piece of gear we have in common is the wetsuit brand, but we both love our gear and wouldn't change. Find what works for YOU, nobody else.

Back
Top Bottom