newbie moving in on a bp/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

with oxycheq you only have a choice of 30lb or 45lb. as far as halcyon i would recommend the 36lb since you plan on some cold water diving. with oxycheq it would probably be the 45lb. there is a huge thread on the oxycheq and people claim the 45lb does not have the usual drawbacks of drag and bad trim. read the thread. the people who have used it love it. unfortunately i cannot comment from my own experience. i can tell you however that i love my halcyon.

Jonnythan, thanks for the AL BP suggestion... I guess I hadn't thought about it. $32 is not a big investment for now and I can get an SS BP down the road when I need more weight.

The issue with the STA stands with an AL BP I assume. Somehow if I have an AL BP it seems better to get the Halcyon wing so I don't have SS AST's on an AL BP.

So if I go with a 2# AL BP, I'll need a little more weight. Is it best to put that on a belt? In trim pouches? Haven't I read about mounting weights to the tank itself for good balance?

Here's another solution for you from Koplin

SS Travel Backplate 2.2 pounds (1.0 kg)
+
SS Light-weight Single Tank Adapter
0.9 pounds (0.4 kg)

and btw. when I ordered BP/wing/harness/STA from Oxycheq - Patrick included cam bands for free :)

khel

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
So if I go with a 2# AL BP, I'll need a little more weight. Is it best to put that on a belt? In trim pouches? Haven't I read about mounting weights to the tank itself for good balance?

A belt. When I switched from my Ranger to a BP/Wing I bought the ACB pouches and used them once. They are horrible. Just throw any extra weight on a belt.

James

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
Jonnythan, thanks for the AL BP suggestion... I guess I hadn't thought about it. $32 is not a big investment for now and I can get an SS BP down the road when I need more weight.

The issue with the STA stands with an AL BP I assume. Somehow if I have an AL BP it seems better to get the Halcyon wing so I don't have SS AST's on an AL BP.

Actually I was suggesting you get both.

Here's another suggestion: Call up Scott or Oxycheq and ask how much the entire package would be for the 30lb wing + SS backplate + harness + STA. I bet it will be cheaper than buying it all individually.

Then go to Leisurepro and get the Al plate. Use the Al when you're diving with little exposure protection, and the SS when you have a lot. It's worth it.

tank weights do make sense because they are better for trim than weights on your waist. therefore, i would definitely place some weight on the tank. the acb pouches are outrageously expensive. not worth it in my opinion.

...Who's making trim pockets... They're sorta like Dive Rite's "Clipper" pocket, but better made and less pricey (about 1/3 the price of the ACB pockets). They allow for ditching in an emergency, and have a really cool "keeper" mounting system which allows you to easily place the pocket anywhere you like without fear of it sliding or moving at all.

The pockets measure 4" x 4" x 1.5", so they're tiny and very streamlined. Each will hold up to 5 lbs in weight, and fit perfectly anywhere on a 2" harness with no modification.

PM me for details if anyone wants more info... I'll be doing a full review of his pockets when I get mine in about a week...

Back
Top Bottom