newbie moving in on a bp/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, so let me know if I'm understanding this correctly...

Some BP's have cam slots which means that you can just buy cam straps and DON'T need to worry about STA's, right?

So where would a person buy cam straps? Are they the same straps that are used on conventional BC's?

it is not a function of the bp but of the wing. some wings have integrated STAs (halcyon). in that case all you need are the cam straps that go through the slots in the bp. other wings don't e.g. oxycheq. this means you will need to buy an STA. you will need the cam straps in both scenarios. you should be able to get them in any diving store on and off the web.

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
Okay, so let me know if I'm understanding this correctly...

Some BP's have cam slots which means that you can just buy cam straps and DON'T need to worry about STA's, right?

So where would a person buy cam straps? Are they the same straps that are used on conventional BC's?

ONLY with a Pioneer wing. With any other wing (Oxycheq, OMS, whatever) you need a separate STA.

Cam straps are a killer. Their cost (I thought they'd be included with the Pioneer wing since it has a built in STA) made me go from buying a FredT plate and harness to buying the whole Halcyon package. Docmartin says the Oxycheq wings have cam straps included, but I dunno about this. The Oxycheq site doesn't say anything about it.

The cam straps are $38 each from Extreme Exposure or Fifth Dimension. "Standard" cam bands without the rubber tank grip or stainless steel buckle are $21.49 each from Northeast Scuba Supply or $14.99 from Divers Direct.

So figure either $30 for the cheap cam straps and $45 for the STA, you're looking at a total cost of $355 for the Oxycheq wing, so you're really not saving anything over the Pioneer wing.

BTW, covci.com has the 45lb Oxycheq for $265 including shipping.

With the wing from covci, you're looking at a total price of $449, assuming the cam straps don't come with the wing (and I can't imagine that they do), and $419 assuming they don't. A Pioneer wing would be $477 all things included. I got my entire Pioneer MC system (wing, straps, bp, harness, hardware) for $430. Should be a cool setup in any case.

jonnythan misread me. i stated that i doubt the cam straps would be included with the oxycheq. so we are telling you the same. you will have to cough up extra money. isn't it fun? believe me, after a while it does not hurt so bad anymore. unless you are married like me and your wife finds out about these things...

I'm sorry to be a bit slow, but I don't think I'm getting the concept here. When I look at a halcyon wing and a oxycheq wing I see the same bolt holes and slits. I see pictures of what an STA looks like. I guess I'm just not able to put it all together in my mind. Maybe if someone could tell me the order of assembly for a couple of different configurations I would understand.

For instance, would you weave the bp with the harness, then put the wings on (I'm thinking the oxycheq wings), then the STA, then the tank?

I am looking at the hammerhead plate by swmetalproducts.com and they say that no sta's are needed because they have cam slots... but by what docmartin has said it sounds like the oxycheq wings would still require an sta. Why?

Thank you in advance.

jonnythan once bubbled...
With the wing from covci, you're looking at a total price of $449, assuming the cam straps don't come with the wing (and I can't imagine that they do), and $419 assuming they don't. A Pioneer wing would be $477 all things included. I got my entire Pioneer MC system (wing, straps, bp, harness, hardware) for $430. Should be a cool setup in any case.

This is why I always snicker to myself when I hear people talking about the Oxycheq wings being cheaper :)

James

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...
I'm sorry to be a bit slow, but I don't think I'm getting the concept here. When I look at a halcyon wing and a oxycheq wing I see the same bolt holes and slits. I see pictures of what an STA looks like. I guess I'm just not able to put it all together in my mind. Maybe if someone could tell me the order of assembly for a couple of different configurations I would understand.

The difference is that the Halcyon wing has a "built in STA". You cannot see this in the picture, it is sewn into the wing and basicly consists of a couple of plastic rods that run the length of the wing on either side of the bolt holes. Your round tank rests between these rods and the rods keep the tank from rocking back and forth.

You can mount a tank onto a backplate with an Oxycheq wing without an STA, but it will move around on you.

i understand your confusion. from looking at the pix you can't tell the difference. however, the halcyon wing has two hard rods in the middle. these basically cradle the tank. you don't see them because they are sewn into the fabric. they replace the need for an sta. so all you do is thread the cam straps through the bp and the bolted wing and then push the whole thing over your tank and tighten. with an oxycheq wing you bolt the wing and the separate sta to your bp. then you thread the cam straps through the slots in the sta. therefore, the slots in the bp are not used. the sta cradles the tank just like the two rods in the halcyon wing do. arguably the sta is more stable. i would not know because i dive a halcyon.
btw, what kind of exposure protection do you wear and how much weight do you need? the reason i am asking is that the bp you picked weighs 7.5lb. then you add the sta. in a 3mil all i need is 6lb when i dive an al80. therefore, i would be overweighted in your setup under those conditions. just something else to consider. sorry for the complication.

If your bp has the slots in it for cam straps you can set it up without the sta. Some people say this is not as stable as with the sta. It does bring the tank about an inch closer to your back going without the sta. Check out diveriteexpress.com for staps. I've got the ss ones by Dive Rite. They weigh 1lb each.

The Halcyon wings that a couple people have mentioned have the sta built in to the wing itself.

Aha! So the STA keeps the tank from rolling side to side essentially because of its concave shape. It's all coming together now... and the Halcyon has the rods in it that serve the same purpose.

So why don't they just make a BP with a concave channel so that STA's are not necessary?

Back
Top Bottom