newbie moving in on a bp/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaliban

Reaction score
I'm a first time poster here, and just finishing up my naui ow cert. I've been researching and shopping hard and aquired most of my gear so far, all of which I know I'll be very happy with for years to come. I'm pretty much down to my tanks and bc and would appreciate any feedback.

During the course of researching bc's, I happened upon this board and learned for the first time about bp/wing setup. I'm very intrigued and I've pretty much decided that's the way I will go, if I can do it economically enough, especially after reading SeaJay's article and numerous other posts here.

I had worked my way from planning on getting a used basic bc for starters up to planning on spending $400 on a blackdiamond prior to this new bp/wing wrinkle, so that's kind of my budget.

1. My current thinking (if I can come up with the extra quid) is to get a FredT plate and STA, Oxycheq wing, and DiveRite transplate harness, which is the one with the adjustable shoulder pads and waist belt, this is not the one with the back padding.

2. Another possibility is to get the DR package deal that comes with a plate, harness and wing for $329, which would be easier to afford, and would have pretty much everything I need to get started.

3. or, to pick up the DR transpac II with wing for $350, and add a plate later. As I understand it, the back padding is removeable, and or can be bolted into the plate. This way, when I travel to tropics, I could use the back padding, and possibley a lightweight plate. I think with the backpadding removed, its the same as the DR transplate harness, with only the shoulder pads and waist belt arrangement.

I'm diving a single steel 100 for the forseeable future, in cold water (puget sound), with a dry suit.

Any feedback on the above options or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

-k

Skip the "Dive Rite" harness, "Dive Right" and get a one piece webbing harness from FredT instead :)

I picked up a bp/wing after 6 OW dives and have not regretted it. Diving rental gear this past week while on vacation just re-affirms my decision.

I'm guessing that the DR transplate harness will add some conveniance and comfort, and I kind of doubt there would be a noticeable performance decrease over a hogarthian arrangement, but then I'm only guessing. Does anyone have any experience to the contrary on that? Or, I guess I should ask, why do you suggest skipping the DR harness?

As far as the safety difference, given the type of diving I'll be doing for quite some time, I doubt there would be enough of a safety difference to have any real impact.

-k

kaliban once bubbled...

3. or, to pick up the DR transpac II with wing for $350, and add a plate later......

-k

Where did you say you can get a TPII with Wings for $350?

:mean:

Fred T makes an excellent plate, and Scott Koplin (Oxycheq) makes an excellent wing. You won't go wrong with that set up. I echo the above - skip the DR harness and go with a one piece harness from Fred.

On the other hand, occasionally package deals can be found that are cheaper by virtue of simply being a package deal. Also, if you buy locally they can assist you to adjust the harness and weighting properly, which is a big part of it. If you dive in Puget Sound, I suggest you visit Fifth D in Issaquah and at least see what Mark and Debbie may be able to do for you in the way of a package deal. At least give them a call.

FWIW,

Doc

DR Stainless BP, with either their deluxe (adjustable, clips) or Hogarthian rig and either Trek, Rec or Classic wings with inflator for $329. Great shop and people, too.

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/closeouts.html

P.S. I'm not associated with this shop, either :) , I just like them and consider myself lucky (considering all the biotching about LDS around here) to live 15 minutes away. I don't get a commission! Happy diving!

If you are in/near the States, go to the various used equipment forums or Ebay and buy a used BP and a smallish wing.

The harness is easy to make and the BPs don't wear out.

I've seen used BPs in the $20 range. Hunt up a used Pioneer for around $230 and you are good to go.

Peter

while at first glance the shoulder pads may sound like a good idea i can assure you that a no-frills harness will not feel uncomfortable at all on your shoulders. the pads are unnecessary unless you plan on going hiking with your setup.

kaliban once bubbled...
Or, I guess I should ask, why do you suggest skipping the DR harness?

I've never seen the Transpate Harness and the picture on their website is lousy so I'm not sure on all the points:

1. If it has quick disconnects, these are failure points.
2. Minor issue, but all the extra padding/pockets/etc are more boyancy requiring more weight to offse them.
3. Minor issue, but all the extra padding/pockets/etc offer increased water resistance, more gas used.
4. It's not clear from the picture how this mounts on to the backplate. It appears to be neither routed through the webbing slots nor does it appear to be bolted on.

If it is bolted on this means your harness is attached to the center of the backplate. This is not a very stable way to attach your plate.

If it is routed through the webbing slots, you need to be aware that the webbing does rub and wear out against these slots over time. With a standard harness it costs about $8 to replace the webbing. Would you rather $8 every so often to replace it or $100+?

James

Back
Top Bottom