newbie moving in on a bp/wing setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the wing is b/w the bp and the tank. if the bp had the concave channel then they would have to squeeze the center of the wing into that channel, too. that's more complicated to design than the standard setup.

Great. Thanks yet again, doc.

And now regarding the weight of this system... I believe you are right. For instance, last week I was in salt water with a 2mm shorty and an AL80 and used only 8# (could have done 6# i think).

I suppose it is impractical to attempt to put together a BP/Wings system that works for all situations? My diving currently ranges from no wetsuit in salt water to a 7mm in fresh water (colorado lakes). I eventually plan to do ice, dry suit, and doubles, but it may be awhile (then again it may not).

So if I had the S&W BP and a Halcyon wing I would have 7.5# total. If I went with the Oxycheq wing I have to add 2# for the STA's... making 9.5#. That's probably too much weight. I suppose I have the options of getting a 6# BP or making sure I get the Halcyon wing to eliminate the STA weight... or both.

What is your BP/Wings setup for 3mm fresh water?

jeremyrfoster once bubbled...

I dive an SS MC system and with a 2mm shorty in fresh water I'm slightly overweighted. With my Ranger I needed at least 10 lbs in the same conditions.

I'd say based on your weighting you have a fair chance of being overweighted even without the STA. You might consider an aluminum BP.

James

Aha! So the STA keeps the tank from rolling side to side essentially because of its concave shape. It's all coming together now... and the Halcyon has the rods in it that serve the same purpose.

So why don't they just make a BP with a concave channel so that STA's are not necessary?

Well, Halcyon and Oxycheq are the only people who make wings that are really specifically for single tanks on a backplate. The Dive Rite travel wings aren't meant for mounting to a backplate, and all of their other wings are suitable for doubles. Same thing with all the OMS wings.

Great. Thanks yet again, doc.

And now regarding the weight of this system... I believe you are right. For instance, last week I was in salt water with a 2mm shorty and an AL80 and used only 8# (could have done 6# i think).

I suppose it is impractical to attempt to put together a BP/Wings system that works for all situations? My diving currently ranges from no wetsuit in salt water to a 7mm in fresh water (colorado lakes). I eventually plan to do ice, dry suit, and doubles, but it may be awhile (then again it may not).

So if I had the S&W BP and a Halcyon wing I would have 7.5# total. If I went with the Oxycheq wing I have to add 2# for the STA's... making 9.5#. That's probably too much weight. I suppose I have the options of getting a 6# BP or making sure I get the Halcyon wing to eliminate the STA weight... or both.

I have a 6lb backplate, and when I use my 3mm full suit in freshwater, I just use the backplate.

However, you can get an Al backplate from Leisurepro for about $30. IMO, if you do a lot of warm water diving you should get one, and leave the heavy plate for when you have to wear more weight.

Rewind the tape back to January and February...

This is so cool to read. Reminds me of my public humiliation.

All the same (and I mean ALL THE SAME) questions.

All the same answers. Only the players have changed.

Next stop: threading the harness, ACB or belt, 7' hose or 5' hose, OMS or SP SPG, cannister or Light Cannon, pig sticker or Betty Crocker, the foot pockets on Jets are too damn small, Fundy or not... too funny.

You SB mega-vets (vets with a few thousand REAL posts...not the lurking-in-non-diving-stuff-who's-the-SB-hottie-this-week-post-padding-trolling-for-chicks-SB-dream-date types) must love this...seeing the people you schooled move up and school others, as curious divers consider their equipment config and diving style options.

Experience, opinions and preferences dispensed freely to those who ask. I'm loving reading this thread.

You guys rule.

K

i dive the halcyon 36# wing with their bp. that means in warm salt water i don't wear any additional weight. here are your options:
1. go with a 6# bp (halcyon, fredT etc.) and a halcyon wing without sta.
2. go for the setup you suggested but substitute an aluminum bp which weighs about 2lb for a mere $40
http://www.aul-inc.com/Shopping Cart/enter_main.htm
3. go for the setup you suggested and get the ss bp plus an aluminum bp. that way you are set for warm water and in colder water you use the steel and do not need so much weight to your belt. since the additional cost is only $40 it is worth considering. of course you would have to switch harnesses from one bp to the other which can be a pain. therefore, another harness may not be bad. that's another $35. i know it adds up.
don't let all this discourage you. choosing the gear is half the fun.

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Rewind the tape back to January and February...

This is so cool to read. Reminds me of my public humiliation.

All the same (and I mean ALL THE SAME) questions.

All the same answers. Only the players have changed.

Next stop: threading the harness, ACB or belt, 7' hose or 5' hose, OMS or SP SPG, cannister or Light Cannon, pig sticker or Betty Crocker, the foot pockets on Jets are too damn small, Fundy or not... too funny.

You SB mega-vets (vets with a few thousand REAL posts...not the lurking-in-non-diving-stuff-who's-the-SB-hottie-this-week-post-padding-trolling-for-chicks-SB-dream-date types) must love this...seeing the people you schooled move up and school others, as curious divers consider their equipment config and diving style options.

Experience, opinions and preferences dispensed freely to those who ask. I'm loving reading this thread.

You guys rule.

K

Hey man, I'm in your shoes too. Obsessed and looked at pictures and read everything I could find. I've only been diving bp/wings for a few months now. No one has any idea how much I learned from this board.

The funny part is that some of the people never learn... and it's the same game with new players there, too.

A comment:

That 45 lb wing-if you're using a single tank-is way too large. You should not need anything more than a 36 lb, and usually can get away with a 27 lb wing.

And the 45 lb is too small for a set of steel doubles if that is the way you are looking down the road.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom