Newbie needs help/suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coleraindiver

Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post; therefore, be patient with me-lol.

As stated in my Intro, so new to this still in class/pool and Open Water Dives 3/22/08.

I found out after deciding to do the PADI certification that this is not an “inexpensive” adventure. After buying mask, fins and snorkels for 3 of us, it cost approximately little over 1k.

Now we are getting ready to go to Caribbean for Open Water Dives. But what are the necessities to invest/buy 1st? Our local dive shop has a laundry list of things that they want me to buy from our BCD to watch computers. But we have never been in the Ocean yet and what if my 11 yr old decides the boat ride was good enough (my biggest financial nightmare about this adventure).

The Open Water Dive Certification Shop tells us they will provide all the equipment and we can rent stuff like wet suits. So, my question(s) to you veterans is what do we really need to have for 1st time experience and to complete Open Water Certification? What is the best equipment to invest your money? I see these Mares Nemo Air/Nitrox Computer and Aeris XR2 Air/Nitro Computer watches that look nice (part-time computer geek here) but is that worth spending $300 a piece before ever taking a 1st ocean dive?

Any insight/suggestions are desperately needed.

This is my first post; therefore, be patient with me-lol.

As stated in my Intro, so new to this still in class/pool and Open Water Dives 3/22/08.

I found out after deciding to do the PADI certification that this is not an “inexpensive” adventure. After buying mask, fins and snorkels for 3 of us, it cost approximately little over 1k.

Now we are getting ready to go to Caribbean for Open Water Dives. But what are the necessities to invest/buy 1st? Our local dive shop has a laundry list of things that they want me to buy from our BCD to watch computers. But we have never been in the Ocean yet and what if my 11 yr old decides the boat ride was good enough (my biggest financial nightmare about this adventure).

The Open Water Dive Certification Shop tells us they will provide all the equipment and we can rent stuff like wet suits. So, my question(s) to you veterans is what do we really need to have for 1st time experience and to complete Open Water Certification? What is the best equipment to invest your money? I see these Mares Nemo Air/Nitrox Computer and Aeris XR2 Air/Nitro Computer watches that look nice (part-time computer geek here) but is that worth spending $300 a piece before ever taking a 1st ocean dive?

Any insight/suggestions are desperately needed.

I personally would only buy mask, fins and snorkel. Buy the training and rent the rest. There is no need in buying all kinds of gear and end up with stuff you don't like or want.

Trust me when I say that many divers buy stuff to only come to the conclusion later that it is not what they need or want. This is especially evident at the beginning.

Personally I wouldn't buy any more gear before the certification. You might end up not liking it.

After you are certified you might want to look into buying used rental gear. The shop near me services than sells all their gear every fall. This ends up costing a fraction of the price of new gear.

I wouldn't purchase anything additional until you've done some dives and know that you enjoy the sport. On top of that for anything major you're going to want to test dive as much as possible before making a decision.

Mask/fins/snorkel are all you really need. Might want to invest in a small drybag for each person for clothes/towel/wallet/etc that you want to keep dry on a boat. A dry bag comes in handy ANY time you're on a boat or in other wet situations.
Ber :lilbunny:

All you need is what you have. If you decide you like scuba, then rent for about a year to find what you like. Vest inflate BCD vs Rear inflate BCD vs BP/W. Decide where you will be diving. (These are just for you to think about, not answer right now)

Are you going to be a vacation diver that just dives in warm water a couple times a year? If so you may want to just stick to renting and just get a 3mm wetsuit.

Do you live in a warm-water location (FL)? If so you don't need to spend the extra $ to get a cold-water reg.

Are you going to dive in cold water? Then you'll want to get a 7 mm wetsuit or drysuit.

Do you have trouble breathing at depth or overbreath the reg when you dive? If so you'll prob want to get an overbalanced reg that can has the settings to force air into your mouth if you need it.

You really need to discover a lot about diving that you won't know until after you are certified before you know what to buy. It also seems like a lot of people that buy a full set of equipment based on the LDS recommendations before they are certified, end up buying all new gear once they know what they are looking for.

If you discover you do like scuba diving, the first things I would recommend buying though (first things I bought) are a wetsuit and dive computer. People pee in wetsuits...so it's best to have your own. A dive computer will help you (as a new diver) from doing certain things such as ascending too quickly, etc. Well it won't keep you from doing it, but it will alert you of what you're doing wrong.

I'll have to chime in and agree with the good advise you've received so far. Rent what ever is not provided and then test dive different configurations before you buy until you find somehing you're comfortable with. I've replaced almost every piece of equipment that I started with. You won't need a computer for the class unless things have changed since I was certified. After you're certified, you can rent a complete equipment package with a computer to dive with. Good luck and have fun.

Wait to buy gear. Spending $1k for mask, fins and snorkel, while not unheard of, seems a bit high to me, (see this thread: link). I'm sure your 11 year old will love it if properly handled (see this thread: link).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom