Newbie question: PADI or NAUI, does it matter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeachedBum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, but I am planning to get certified after I move to Florida and I'm wondering if NAUI or PADI certification makes any difference?o_O

I agree with CuzzA but there are more PADI shops than Naui if that matters..I could be wrong but I think PADI costs more also.

One small advantage to PADI for travel - most PADI shops can access your records online - say you forget/lose your c-card. Not that Naui can't but the pool is smaller. I've been to some pretty well known dive locations that don't have a Naui shop on the island. PADI also has their own dive travel agency.

I'm SSI. Years ago I did a move that to the PADI DM on a boat meant I was in trouble. I didn't know their OK sign so they sent a boat after me till he realized there was no problem. Hey it was a free ride back...

PADI is the most recognisable organisation in the world. For ordinary rec diving i would choose PADI. It is not a rocket science to get basic diving skills and be certified. It is much harder to become GOOD diver.... here instructor is really important.

I am going to assume that you have the option of PADI at one (or more) dive shops and NAUI at other shops.

If I were in your shoes, I would go into each of the shops in question and talk to the people there. Get a feel for if they just want to sell you product (including lessons) or if they listen to find out what you are interested in. Ask yourself if you could see yourself spending a lot of time with the staff at the dive shops in a learning environment or if you see that not really happening.

Listen to your gut feelings! Believe it or not, but you have some highly tuned instincts and if something doesn't seem right, even if you can't put your finger on exactly what it is, there may often be a problem. On the other hand, if you get a good feeling, then follow those instincts.

As others have said, while PADI has more outlets worldwide, both agencies are highly recognized and you shouldn't have a problem with either as long as you don't forget or lose your c-card. The importance of having a good instructor can not be overstated. Until you sign up, however, you have all the power. Shop around if you have options and find an instructor who you think will meet your needs.

Good luck & welcome to the underwater world!

I'm not trying to open up a can of worms here, but I am planning to get certified after I move to Florida and I'm wondering if NAUI or PADI certification makes any difference?o_O

Yes, there is a difference... in the same way there's a difference between Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks. Which is to say that there are many people that will give you reasons that one is better than the others, but the fact is they'll all get you where you need to go.

Try and visit a few shops and see who impresses you the most . The Agency is
not as important as the Instructor who will be teaching you . Go with your gut feeling .
I am a Chevy guy .
Sea Dwellers

As others have said, the quality of the instructor is the primary concern. I can relate horror stories starring individual instructors from each agency. I can relate tales of excellence starring individual instructors from each agency.

As others have said, while PADI has more outlets worldwide,
It is definitely true that PADI has many more outlets worldwide, but once you are certified, that doesn't matter a bit. If you are going diving and need to present a certification card as qualification, any dive operation anywhere in the world will accept the card from any bona fide agency. If you move somewhere and decide to go on to higher levels of instruction, you can switch from one to the other without a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom