Newly Certified Open Water Diver in New Jersey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArubaDiverJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone. My name is John and I was just recently certified at Red Sails Sports in Aruba. I had tried diving for the first time in Aruba last year and took their basic discovery course which gives you a simple preparation and shallow dive and there was no turning back from there. This year after taking my PADI classes through the e-learning I did my two confined dives and then four more open water dives. I am an avid traveler and am looking to add diving into my trips now. I am still new to diving so any insights or tips would be greatly appreciated. Since I rented all my gear to start would anyone reccomend what I should start with, I am going to pick up some fins, mask and snorkel for now and then go from there the more I dive. I have some pictures from my first few dives in which I will post in the picture section. Nice to meet everyone look forward to diving!

Congratulations on your OW. I started the same as you... I racked up probably 40-50 resort dives over a few years of Caribbean vacations and finally decided I had to make the time to get certified. I'm so happy I did as the world of diving has opened up so many fun adventures.

If you ever come to extreme Southern New Jersey to dive, feel free to shoot me an email if you need a dive buddy!

Again, congratulations!! :)

Honestly, I have none. I've only gone to a place we call the Blue Hole in Winslow Township. I'm having such an extremely hard time getting amy of my friends to book on a charter to go off the coast. Spare time, money, their kids have activities or they "hear" NJ diving is cold, dark and murky seem to be their excuses!! I'm a skydiver and have an easier time getting people to do that than scuba diving. Go figure...

Here are some sites to help you in NJ

Scuba Diving - New Jersey & Long Island New York - Wreck Valley

and

NJdive.com wreck diving schedule

or head on out to good ol Dutch Springs for a dip.

As for gear after mask fins snorkel probably a nice set of regs and or a wetsuit. Regs are nice because it the most important gear that your life depends on. You know the history of your regs and how it cared for, with rentals you do not. And a having your own wetsuit means your not swimming in someone elses pee. After all that having your own BC is nice because you can get more comfortable having the same BC everytime instead of a different one off the rack each time or place you go. About the only thing to not buy would be tanks.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!! Seems as if all the NJ diving is 70ft or deeper. I guess I will have to start diving a little more so I can be comfortable down that far.

Its funny that you say that about skydiving. I have a group of friends that go every few months or so but I have not been able to get them to go scuba yet. I haven't jumped as of yet. I prefer under water than in the air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom