Newly minted PADI Self-Reliant/Solo Diver.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't do it right it can lead to an uncontrolled ascent. And if you're going to use it like this, you want an OPV/dump valve on the top of the bag. Basically, you ride it up, releasing gas as you go.

You can pull yourself up a line depending on the conditions/environment too. But a reel is easier than a spool for this. Cave line is strong enough, but if there are things that could trap/entangle you or pose a threat to the line, it's risky.

Additionally, depending on the circumstances, it can be a challenge to deploy. You have to pull out your bag, inflate it somehow (orally, reg, or schrader port), while preventing yourself from sinking further over a potentially bottomless abyss. Other environmental factors (e.g., currents, downwellings) can also complicate this. Try sending up a bag in a current and you can easily get entangled in your own line if you don't do it right.

It requires very regular practice to be effective. A drysuit or double wing is easier. Just inflate and manage the bubble.

I never clip a lift bag to me then inflate it.

If you insist on clipping it off to your harness, I suggest you hold it with your hand, inflate it and get yourself neutral and such then clip it off. At least that way you can let it go if you get in trouble.

I never clip a lift bag to me then inflate it.

If you insist on clipping it off to your harness, I suggest you hold it with your hand, inflate it and get yourself neutral and such then clip it off. At least that way you can let it go if you get in trouble.

Same. I prefer to hold it the whole way up then clip at the surface if needed.
Can't do that at depth to hold a safety stop . . . and especially in the case if you are doing mandatory decompression diving with switches to 50% and/or 100% Oxygen at 21m & 6m respectively. Keep a consistent procedure & technique --deploy Liftbag on a Primary Wing Failure & clip to Shoulder D-ring and smartly inflate to provide emergency auxiliary buoyancy. Control ascent to safety/deco stops by modulating dump valve and/or re-inflation of Liftbag as needed.

Lift Bags | Halcyon

Totally agree with keeping a consistent procedure and technique. Keep in mind this thread is about diving solo aka self-reliant, so deco stops are a bit out of scope I think.

Anyway, I can deploy emergency buoyancy and hold a stop in a few ways, and as you know this is part of technical training. I have a dual-bladder doubles wing, so I can switch to my backup bladder as well as inflating my drysuit a bit more in addition to deploying one of my lift bags. If I am diving a single tank with an AL40 for backup while diving solo, I am never so negative that I cant swim my rig up to the surface should my wing fail (especially if I am in a drysuit). Furthermore, I would not be in a deco obligation diving in that configuration so a safety stop would not be mandatory anyway.

Although possible, I think the likelihood of needing your backup buoyancy once you are at your deco stops or safety stop in the real world to be pretty slim - not much to poke, cut, or otherwise damage it aside from Mr Murphy mucking about.

Great info. Most of you have more diving experience than I so let me ask this question. Could a diver attach the bag to a reel, hold it then ride bag up. If the diver started to ascend too quickly they could let bag unreel. That way at the very least they might be able to crank themselves up.

Trust me I get how this could go south. I've gotten tangled on a line underwater that was attached to a submerged object. Very unpleasant. Lines do funny things in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info. Most of you have more diving experience than I so let me ask this question. Could a diver attach the bag to a reel, hold it then ride bag up. If the diver started to ascend too quickly they could let bag unreel. That way at the very least they might be able to crank themselves up.

Trust me I get how this could go south. I've gotten tangled on a line underwater that was attached to a submerged object. Very unpleasant. Lines do funny things in water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A variation on this technique of "hauling yourself up" in a Primary Wing Failure contingency -- if boat diving and can make it back to the thick rope & chain upline/mooring line/anchorline, then give that method a try. Otherwise I prefer having direct control over the auxiliary emergency buoyancy provided by the Liftbag i.e. manipulating as needed directly either the inflator or dump-valve, instead of sending it away to the surface and hauling myself up on a thin spool or reel line (and especially if I have a mandatory deco gas switch to perform at depth as described above).

Can't do that at depth to hold a safety stop . . . and especially in the case if you are doing mandatory decompression diving with switches to 50% and/or 100% Oxygen at 21m & 6m respectively.

My bag has a big enough loop for me to have my hand free while still having a firm hold on it.

My bag has a big enough loop for me to have my hand free while still having a firm hold on it.
Honestly Mike, I'm clumsily juggling even a simple spool deployed SMB from depth while performing an Oxygen deco gas switch.

Keep it simple, for auxiliary emergency buoyancy, just clip-off the Liftbag to a shoulder harness D-ring. . .

I clip in, If you go tits up on ascent at least you'll end up on surface. Runaway ascent, can't vent gas from the smb? This is why you carry a cutting tool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom