NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Elevatorguy2:
With the NHL strike in its 6th or 7th week and about 70 or 80 games cancelled the question is, does anyone care?

First, it is not a strike. It is a lockout. The owners have locked the players out from playing.

Second, YES!!! Every game cancelled means more money taken from my pocket. (I work televising sporting events.) As for the actual outcome of any game, I do not care one bit. I just miss the money.

Well, yeah I care because I'm a fan and I would like to see the games. I have hard time being on anyone's side as far as the lockout. I mean It's like feeling bad for one of the millionaires on one side of the fence. :wink:

MikeC:
Second, YES!!! Every game cancelled means more money taken from my pocket. (I work televising sporting events.) As for the actual outcome of any game, I do not care one bit. I just miss the money.

My sentiments exactly. I sometimes work the Dallas Stars games for SportsTicker, so I'm losing out on that money. And the longer this goes on, the closer we get to the point of no return. :frown:

Elevatorguy2:
With the NHL strike in its 6th or 7th week and about 70 or 80 games cancelled the question is, does anyone care?

Baseball is over

Football blows

NBA hasn't started yet.

I miss puck.

K

Elevatorguy2:
No....I just go play hockey for real.

I don't care nearly as much as many fans. I do occasionally watch NHL, but I prefer hockey. (You know, skating and stick handling as opposed to hooking hacking, and holding.) I wish they would show some college hockey, or maybe even some European hockey.

My costume today is a hockey stick with a sign attached reading:

N EED
H ELP!
L OCKED OUT!

and my helmet held out for handouts. It was a 5 minute costume, or I would have done more like slogans (only $8,000 pre day and you can replace my salary!) or multiple plays on NHL (Need Hockey League, No Hockey League, etc.)

Frankly, it's just not worth the money. I went to a few minor league games in Richmond, but in Atlanta the only reason I went to 2 games was a rep that paid my way once and a really cheap "the Thrashers suck and we are desperate for fans" deal. Same for all "top tier" sports.

I´m glad...
A lot of the swedish NHL players have returned home and are playing in our own league now...
Keep fighting! (about whatever it was...)

i dont follow hockey but maybe somebody can fill me in. isnt the lock out because the players were wanting even more moeny to play or was it something else.

Tooth

Scubatooth:
i dont follow hockey but maybe somebody can fill me in. isnt the lock out because the players were wanting even more moeny to play or was it something else.

Tooth

The owners want a salary cap because most of the teams are losing money. The players don't want any salary cap for obvious reasons. There is no TV revenue to speak of in hockey, so the big bucks being paid to the players come directly from ticket sales, concessions, parking, and merchandise. It's making the tickets VERY expensive in towns like Detroit. My tickets are $85.00 each, and if the Wings were to have gone to the finals last year, my seats would have been $500.00 each.

Many of the teams will lose less money this year than if they actually played. I know one in particular that will actually make money this year by not playing! The teams have been preparing for this for a long time, and you can expect this to last for at least 1 1/2 to 2 years. Not a good prospect for the game.

As a previous post said, I don't have any sympathy for a bunch of zillionaires. I'm tired of getting reamed everytime I have to buy my season tickets, but as a business tool it's not an option. The owners let the salaries escalate to where they are today (and the owner of the Wings was the original culprit here-he's the George Steinbrenner of hockey). And the players are hooked on these absurd salaries-kind of like a drug.

As for me, I'm trying to get to as many college hockey games as I can.

Sorry for the length-you got me going on a sport that is near and dear to my heart!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom