Night diving without certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I may agree, if we take it for granted that divers are not coming out of BOW properly trained on the basics. As to people who spend the money defending the class, this is usually the way it is with classes, gear, whatever we spend our money on. It's hard to look back and admit we were not wise.
I don't know about that, I mean I get what you're saying, but I do feel my money is wasted sometimes: in particular on the academic materials as you'll see above. I've also taken the Nitrox course and while it was "useful" in that I can now get Nitrox, this is something they could have tacked onto OW or something, not needed to be a $150 course (you could learn the material in about an hour, it's a tiny extension of the dive tables).

But I honestly felt like my night diving course was a huge confidence builder for me. Could I have done without it, sure, I'd probably have been okay. But I would have been much more anxious about it and probably more mistake prone. If you choose not to believe me, that's fine, but I certainly felt like I learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence, so a good course in my books.

You must not have met those PADI Master SCUBA Divers.:eyebrow:

Anyway, all jests aside, the more night dives I do, the less bright lights I bring along. There's no need for cannister light or Death Star laser rays for a typical night dive. That much light washes out a lot of the good stuff.

Yea same here. Though I have never had a super bright light but I tend to dislike it if other divers bring them along. I prefer the dark to dive in so a light that makes it like day time ruins the purpose of night diving for me :) If it is bright enough with the moon to dive without my light and I am not looking for critters I'll turn off my light anyway.

I just finished my open water certification and am going to the Florida Keys this month. I was looking into a dive shop that offers night dives that don't require the night diving certification. They told me that they provide a dive guide for the group and that it is fine for a new diver to participate. Is night diving risky enough that I shouldn't do it unless I have more experience and the night dive certification, or can I believe them when they say I can do it with the dive guide?
No certification is needed for night diving. It is a very common experience in resort areas. The sites chosen for night dives are almost always relatively shallow sites without a lot of complications. The person leading the dive will explain a few special skills you will need, primarily being how to handle your light(s) and how to give signals.

The value of night dives lies primarily in the fact that the critters that are usually hidden away by day are out cruising by night. This includes lobsters, crabs, octopus, squid, etc. Ironically, you also see the true colors of coral because you are looking at it by flashlight instead of natural light, which washes away color by color as you get deeper, until everything looks blue.
Put
Another
Dollar
In

I know some certified boat divers. Certified night divers. Certified photographers. Certified buoyancy divers. Certified navigators. Certified blah blah blah ... I've never seen them get asked for their c cards. Sir I need to see your c card to take that camera in the water. Etc etc

I've seen guys that never went beyond aow blow dms out of the water with skill sets. Go have fun man get wet !

The biggest thing about night diving is understanding navigation, having a backup light and just enjoying the ride. I would rather night dive mast times than dive in the daylight. Less people, more critters and critter action and helped me to become a better diver. Your awareness goes up in night diving and once you experience a good night dive regardless of location, you will be the first in line at the dock.

Go for it, remember what you learned in your open water and enjoy. If you have any concerns or apprehensions just let the DM or guide know and all will be good.

The first night dive I did was by accident, it was an evening and people were late turning up. I borrowed a torch and was put with an experienced buddy. Part way through the dive he realised I did not know about how to communicate in the dark.
I am now somewhat more experienced at night diving and a couple of years ago was getting ready for a night dive in the sea. Apart from me only the guide had dived at night before. There was an OW instructor coming along but she had never dived at night. There was quite a swell and the water round the jetty looked quite menacing so most of the part were already quite or very apprehensive. The OW instructor, knowing I had one quite a few night dives asked if there was anything about night diving that still bothered me. I replied that I often got this feeling that there was a large fish just out of torch range in the darkness eyeing me up for breakfast. The whole group already nervous, went dead quiet and the guide said "I wish you had not said that"

Back
Top Bottom