Nitek Q4 worth buying now in 2016?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all

Long time lurker here decided to turn to all you omniscient divers here on scubaboard for advice.

I'm a long time rec diver looking to replace my dive computer (a Suunto Mosquito which I have had for years).
I have been diving way more frequently recently and intend to keep doing that, albeit most likely just on a recreational level.

I want a larger screen and have no particular preference for Suunto, which hardly seems to have progressed the last decade (still popular though here in Europe and plenty of second hand offers to be found).
The really good stuff like Shearwater, OSTC and such are hard to find second hand.
I have now found a Nitek q4, which looks like a nice computer, I can probably get it for the equivalent of a little less than 200 US dollars.

But there isn't all that much info to be found on this product and it looks rather obsolete to me.
I have searched through threads here of course but there's not a lot of recent info.

So, obvious question: is anyone here still using a Nitek Q4 and what's the performance like?
Especially battery-wise, since it's not user replacable, and I don't have a Dive Rite dealer in this country.

It's the same thing as a Q with the addition of the rebreather port, so reviews for the Q would apply. The highlights that I recall are a very poor screen, bad computer software, non-serviceable battery, and abandoned by Dive Rite. However, for less than $200 you can use it until you can afford something better (Shearwater) then toss it at no great loss.

Thx.
Yeah it's the non servicable battery that bugs me, plus that Dive Rite seems no longer interested in dive computers.

...and I just realised the year we're living in is of course 2017, so pardon the silly title.

I love mine. I use it as a backup to my Perdix and for CCR diving.

It's not a Perdix but it is less than 1/4 the price. The screen is very readable and gas changes etc are super simple. Try find a Trimix/ GF/ compass etc computer for that price.

So far mine is around 2 years old, no battery issues at all.

I just purchased one used 2 weeks ago (thanks sb) reasoning was nothing else with those features for that price point.

Comparing it to what newer or more respectable computer costs, I couldn't justify not buying one as a stand alone dive computer.

Providing it doesn't catastrophically fail, it's going to be worth pretty close to what I paid for it for the next few years at least.... an investment as it were, with the bonus of having good functionality.

If someone is selling one cheap my buddy wants one now too...

Regards,
Cameron

Okay, thanks for all the input! (I love scubaboard)
That has eased my mind considerably.
I may well go ahead and get it.
Once I decide to take the serious tec route I can always upgrade.

Okay, thanks for all the input! (I love scubaboard)
That has eased my mind considerably.
I may well go ahead and get it.
Once I decide to take the serious tec route I can always upgrade.
For what it's worth, the Nitek is a very serious tech computer. There's no dive you would be planning to do that it couldn't do with you...

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. The unit I intend to buy is a fully unlocked version as well, trimix and the lot.
What I meant to say was that it may be a couple of years before I venture into tec diving, by which time I may have to upgrade, depending on the state of my Nitek by then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom