No December 2015 thread? Really?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We're coming down from Toronto, any advice on currency? Should I exchange CDN-US before leaving & use US for cash there? I've heard that right now its better to convert CDN to peso on arrival & use pesos for cash. With our buck so low vs US I'd like to minimize the damage and figure out which will work best.
If exchanging after arrival is a good idea, where's best? Airport, banks? front desk? We'll be at Occidental Grand the whole time, so getting out to a bank won't be easy!

Thanks!

For getting pesos, if I was not going to have access to the banks or big supermarkets downtown, I would use the Bamex ATM at the airport to get Pesos. As you exit the customs door and see the friendly (timeshare) guys greeting you, go to the left towards the reservations counter, the Bamex machine is along that short hallway. There is another one but I forget which bank runs it. I would avoid a street ar even a hotel lobby ATM's. As I understand it the owner of the machine gets an ATM fee, with Bamex it is about $30MXN or about $2 USD and your home bank sets the exchange rate and any foreign transaction fees.

Occidental Grand 19-29 Dec. Haven't decided dive shop, its either Pro Dive (on site) or get picked up by Scuba Life, which is looking like a good alternative, plus I want their 100 cf tanks!

Actually anyone can get 100 cf aluminum tanks. You just have to request a fatty from whoever you dive with. The fillers rent those just like 80s and they short fill the 100 cf to 3000#s. And who is scuba life? Are they new?

Actually anyone can get 100 cf aluminum tanks. You just have to request a fatty from whoever you dive with. The fillers rent those just like 80s and they short fill the 100 cf to 3000#s. And who is scuba life? Are they new?

Thanks, very helpful.

From what I can read, yes, Scuba Life is about a year old. See: Scuba Life | Cozumel Scuba Diving & Snorkeling

They've been very responsive via email, and excellent reviews online.

---------- Post added December 1st, 2015 at 08:39 PM ----------

For getting pesos, if I was not going to have access to the banks or big supermarkets downtown, I would use the Bamex ATM at the airport to get Pesos. As you exit the customs door and see the friendly (timeshare) guys greeting you, go to the left towards the reservations counter, the Bamex machine is along that short hallway. There is another one but I forget which bank runs it. I would avoid a street ar even a hotel lobby ATM's. As I understand it the owner of the machine gets an ATM fee, with Bamex it is about $30MXN or about $2 USD and your home bank sets the exchange rate and any foreign transaction fees.

Ahhh, thanks. Thats what I was looking to hear about. Will plan accordingly!

Hey! I'll be in Cozumel Dec. 28-Jan 5 at Casa Mexicana diving with Deep Exposure.
Do board members in the area connect while there?

Hey! I'll be in Cozumel Dec. 28-Jan 5 at Casa Mexicana diving with Deep Exposure.
Do board members in the area connect while there?

We usually try to organize group dinners depending on who is on island. I'll be down there around same time and can try to put together something.

Perhaps a dinner at El Pique. :)

We never exchange our Canadian $ for pesos before we leave. We take out large (maximum) quantities from ATMS at either a nearby bank or Mega with the understanding that if we are paying a flat service fee, might as well get as much as we can. Bank ATMS are probably your best bet but, as you have indicated, your personal circumstances may make that difficult. Someone mentioned an ATM at the airport; I've never noticed one because I am usually in a hurry to get the heck out of there.

The maximum withdrawals seem to vary a bit from place to place, but generally it's 6000-8000 pesos per withdrawal. Anything left over gets recycled on our next trip. I pay with cash for everything I buy except Cinco Soles purchases and, occasionally, diving.

Did you know there are 3 ops on the island that supply steel 120 tanks? All will pick up at your hotel.

Occidental Grand 19-29 Dec. Haven't decided dive shop, its either Pro Dive (on site) or get picked up by Scuba Life, which is looking like a good alternative, plus I want their 100 cf tanks!

We're coming down from Toronto, any advice on currency? Should I exchange CDN-US before leaving & use US for cash there? I've heard that right now its better to convert CDN to peso on arrival & use pesos for cash. With our buck so low vs US I'd like to minimize the damage and figure out which will work best.
If exchanging after arrival is a good idea, where's best? Airport, banks? front desk? We'll be at Occidental Grand the whole time, so getting out to a bank won't be easy!

Thanks!

MMM, you should give Xoom a gander. Depending on the amounts and ATM fees you pay, you might find Xoom a better deal. EASY and 4.99 a send with decent exchange. I do it from my phone and walk in with passport and pick it up.

MMM, you should give Xoom a gander. Depending on the amounts and ATM fees you pay, you might find Xoom a better deal. EASY and 4.99 a send with decent exchange. I do it from my phone and walk in with passport and pick it up.

Another route, which I learned about here on SB, is to open a Charles Schwab 'high yield' investor checking account which includes a VISA debit card. I have used it for the last 5 trips and it has work very well. It is zero cost account (they want your investment business) 0 monthly fees, 0 minimum balance, O foreign exchange fees, they refund the ATM fees (I can verify that includes the Banamex at Mega) and when I have back checked the exchange rate it has been at or near the full bank rate on OANDA, for the day of the transaction. After the account is established (a couple weeks lag for a 'verification' period) you can either direct transfer funds into the account from your primary bank or 'mobile bank’ a picture of a check. What I like about this method is if the card is compromised only the funds on deposit are at risk, not your primary checking and savings from your primary bank, but you still have access to a VISA card with a prefunded limit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom