no O2 on boat - would you dive with operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another point to make. Even the boats that do carry O2, usually only carry small tanks capable of delivering 10-20 minutes worth of O2. (depending on if they are using a nasal canula or a non-rebreather)

I am an EMT and I do carry my own O2 when diving (even on someone elses boat, but I ask if OK first) just don't be misled into believing that they will have enough O2 until advanced emergency care arrives.

Just my 2psi..........

We just went through this in Mexico. We were drift diving in Cabo Pulmo, diving small Pangas over the reef (max depth 50 - avg about 38) and there was no DAN 02 kit or any other form of O2 on teh Panga - heck, there wasn't much of anything except us and our gear.

We were very careful, we were practicing slow ascents, etc... but I can tell you it was on my mind.

What do you folks do in remote or not-so-developed areas like this? Its not like I checked an O2 kit on the plane, and carried it with.

K

Depends on the type of boat, day boat 1-2 hours from road head some think its OK to not have O2 aboard. Liveaboard way off the beaten path not OK. As a general rule small day boats often don’t carry O2 but should, as an example the fast day boats in Cozumel don’t often carry O2. Resort based day boats really should as divers are making multi day multi dive profiles which could lead to DCS even though the computer says you are in the limits.

Hopefully they have 21% O2, that would be a good start...........

I have not been on a dive boat with an O2 kit, as in ever.

You may need to bring more than the O2 kit if you going to provide your own for safety. I would make sure that more than one passenger is a trained O2 provider as well. As the others have said, if the the boat is carrying it, you can't be sure that the crew is trained in adminstering O2. If only one of you is trained, Mr. Murphy says that the O2 provider will be the one with DCS.

Now realistically, knowing what I know about pure O2 as first aid, I wouldn't care if the family dog was giving me the O2 mask as long as I got it and it was correctly connected to a bottle of pure O2 if I was the one who needed the oxygen. But legally, the certification issue could be a problem.

junior diver:
I can think of an exception. In fact two! If you had a deco chamber on board or were shore diving.

If you had a deco chamber, you'd have O2, trust me on this, the table 5a is the most useless piece of paper ever printed.

If you were shore diving, you would not be chartering a boat.

I've seen O2 needed on more than a couple of charters out of Monterey. Maybe it's the area and the typical diving conditions out there.

But my vote would be to pass on a boat without O2.

-Bill

Desa:
Just another point to make. Even the boats that do carry O2, usually only carry small tanks capable of delivering 10-20 minutes worth of O2. (depending on if they are using a nasal canula or a non-rebreather)

I am an EMT and I do carry my own O2 when diving (even on someone elses boat, but I ask if OK first) just don't be misled into believing that they will have enough O2 until advanced emergency care arrives.

Just my 2psi..........

20 mins or even 10 is better than nothing.

I got an even worse nightmare situation, say they don't have O2, and a diver gets bent. Then a storm blows up after a good long dive or two, producing heavy chop. You are in a small boat, maybe 20-25 feet and you and every other diver on board is getting thrown arround.

Actually at this point it doesn't matter much if they have O2 does it? You're gonna be shaking people up like cans of coke.

I guess, realistically, it is nice to have the O2, but in a worse case senerio, it may not be much more than psychological.

Thank you everyone for the time you took to reply.

I've listened and have decided to dive with someone else. This was my gut instinct and you all confirmed it by your reactions. I've chosen an operator who does carry O2 and has constant boat to base communications. They also have O2 at their base.

I don't see the point in taking chances when you don't have to.

Take Care
P

Back
Top Bottom