no O2 on boat - would you dive with operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seabear70:
20 mins or even 10 is better than nothing.

I got an even worse nightmare situation, say they don't have O2, and a diver gets bent. Then a storm blows up after a good long dive or two, producing heavy chop. You are in a small boat, maybe 20-25 feet and you and every other diver on board is getting thrown arround.

Actually at this point it doesn't matter much if they have O2 does it? You're gonna be shaking people up like cans of coke.

I guess, realistically, it is nice to have the O2, but in a worse case senerio, it may not be much more than psychological.

Not correct. Having O2 will always matter if you're bent. How rough the seas are doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Breathing a high FO2 gas does several things for you. Two of which are that it helps get more O2 to tissues where blood flow may be restricted due to bubbles and it allows for faster offgassing helping to prevent bubbles from getting worse.

Other than getting to a chamber the quick administration of O2 is probably the most important thing in determining the out come.

Getting on O2 could very well mean the difference between a quick chamber ride on the way home and being disabled for the rest of your life.

A DAN O2 kit is cute but a dive boat should have a BIG bottle of O2 that allows them to provide O2 to multiple divers for as long as might be needed.

Mike summed it up good. Even for quarry & lake diving, I put the O2 kit in the back of the Jeep. Have never had to use it, except for training.
But I'm glad it's there.
Sorry to stray, I know this was about dive boats. I just feel it's important to have access to O2 on every dive.

MikeFerrara:
Other than getting to a chamber the quick administration of O2 is probably the most important thing in determining the out come.

Getting on O2 could very well mean the difference between a quick chamber ride on the way home and being disabled for the rest of your life.

DAN have just brought out a rebreather attachment fot their cute little green box units. It turns the 30 minute tank int a 3 to 6 hour tank. they only put the price up by a hundred bucks or so, and would be WELL worth it if you are remote and cant carry around J tanks of O2.

cancun mark:
DAN have just brought out a rebreather attachment fot their cute little green box units. It turns the 30 minute tank int a 3 to 6 hour tank. they only put the price up by a hundred bucks or so, and would be WELL worth it if you are remote and cant carry around J tanks of O2.

Where can I find out about the DAN units and cost? Especially interested int he rebreather.

Thanks
P

Having been involved now in several incidents where O2 literally saved the day, I have to say that you would be very, very foolhardy to go out without it, even if you are "just" offshore!

Cheers!

MikeFerrara:
Not correct. Having O2 will always matter if you're bent. How rough the seas are doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Breathing a high FO2 gas does several things for you. Two of which are that it helps get more O2 to tissues where blood flow may be restricted due to bubbles and it allows for faster offgassing helping to prevent bubbles from getting worse.

A DAN O2 kit is cute but a dive boat should have a BIG bottle of O2 that allows them to provide O2 to multiple divers for as long as might be needed.

I agree, to a point...

Let's hope they have a good demand type regulator. and not a nose hose, or something similar so you actually get he benefit of the O2.

The rough seas would make the situation worse because you would be agravating the bends condition, and quite a few other people would start showing symptoms wether they had DCS or not, and it is likely that they actually would, (remember kiddies don't go off roading after a dive) And if you are trying to treat on diver for DCS and you have 6 others showing symptoms, you're gonna have a lot running through your head. Namely how do I put them all on O2 when I've only got one or two masks? Who get's to walk for the rest of their lives and who doesn't?

I used to come up with worse case training senerios for diving.

Here's an Idea...

The DAN DAN Rescue Pak Extended Care Item: 601-1000 is $600. Which some of us spend more than that on a regulator or a computer. Buy your own and carry it with you. Guard it jealously. You've got to figure that it's something that sooner or later you will have to use.

Oh, and make certain that you getthe training nessecarry to use it properly. But by all means make certain that you have O2.

Glad you made the smart choice to change operators. I would never ever dive without. Not only is O2 appropriate for standand dive emergencies but also for cardiac, stroke and even severe injuries. And while I agree that the DAN unit is nice and well put together there are lots of other suppliers who will set you up with a good personal unit for less. And make sure there is a non-rebreather mask as well as a nasal cannula. On demand regs are good as well but add to the cost. I purchased my unit from Marine Medical International and highly recommend their system.

http://www.marmed.com

Have a safe and fun trip

Oh - And of course.... get training! Your LDS should be able to refer you or contact your local American Red Cross chapter. Many suppliers will not sell you 100% O2 unless you have a prescription or can prove proper training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom