no O2 on boat - would you dive with operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the event that you have no O2 but have nitrox..... use it :wink:

The question there is wether or not you will have the gear needed to administer it. Remember, the guy needing the O2 may be unconsious, he's not going to keep a regulator in his mouth all that well.

However, that being said....

I've heard of one case where O2 was administered using an acetelyne torch. I thought this odd, but I have met both the victim and the guy who administered the O2. And I believe it.

I think there are two important points here. The first is that O2 is one of the most effective ways to try and reduce the damage and pain from DCI that are applicable to places outside a chamber. The use of O2 increases the chances of a positive outcome from a DCI event (AGE or DCS).
However, the most important point is if the captain is not safety concious enough to spend $600 on an O2 kit, are they really serious about running a safe operation. Are they going to do solid head counts before leaving, have good life jackets and rafts on board suitable to the conditions? Are they going to skip/delay on that expensive exhaust system repair so you can get a good CO dose before you go diving? It just speaks to an unproffesional approach and likely carries over to other aspects of the operation of the boat.

Please DO NOT administer O2 without being properly certified. Some, but not all, states classify medical grade oxygen as a prescriptive drug under pharmaceutical or other statutes or regulations comparable to those of the FDA.

ShakaZulu:
Please DO NOT administer O2 without being properly certified. Some, but not all, states classify medical grade oxygen as a prescriptive drug under pharmaceutical or other statutes or regulations comparable to those of the FDA.

I just opened up a poll as to whether people would accept O2 from a non-qualified administrator.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t67691.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom