Non GUE DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bridgediver:
What are the facts as you see them? Why can only GUE be DIR?
Thats like saying only the Wright brothers can teach someone how to fly

Errrr, because GUE owns the trademark "DIR" as applied to diving and diving-related stuff?

Many people could teach flying, but only Orville and Wilbur could teach "WrightFlight" (had they trademarked that term in conenction with products and services related to etc. etc.) Even if Cletus (Orville and Wilbur's hypothetical assistant) took all of the WrightFlight practices to another flight school, and faithfully replicated them, he would still not be teaching WrightFlight.

(Incidentally folks, can we strive for a little SIR (Spelling It Right)? "Your" is not "you're", "principal" is not "principle". Homophones. Like the helicopter kick, tricky, but masterable.))
/*****************/

Actually, I must amend. "DIR" and "Doing It Right" trademarks were both claimed by Halcyon. Both were abandoned late last year. (Hmmm.)

lairdb:
(Incidentally folks, can we strive for a little SIR (Spelling It Right)? "Your" is not "you're", "principal" is not "principle". Homophones. Like the helicopter kick, tricky, but masterable.)
It's a good custom on most boards not to warn others about wrong spelling. If you understand it's OK if you don't, just require an additional explanation. :14:

lairdb:
conenction

Maybe you should sign up for SIR (Spell-It-Right)-Fundamentals as you seem to demonstrate a lack of spelling prowess yourself. If you're going to slam others for their spelling, you should really spell-check your own posts first. That way, you don't look like a complete fool.

Mel

I see we're getting somewhere with the lines in the sand.... :1poke: Great - :banghead:

melfox26:
If you're going to slam others for their spelling, you should really spell-check your own posts first. That way, you don't look like a complete fool.

Well, I don't personally find a simple typo ("conenction") even a hundredth as annoying as a homophone error, but YMMV.

MonkSeal:
It's a good custom on most boards not to warn others about wrong spelling. If you understand it's OK if you don't, just require an additional explanation. :14:

Yeah, that custom came to Usenet about the time the level of discourse there declined precipitously too. OK, I'll lighten up.

lairdb:
Actually, the application was abandoned by the applicant.
Look a bit closer, and I'm pretty sure that you will find that there was an initial rejection, and the "abandonment" is simply that Halcyon didn't try to contest the rejection. Very common sequence of events.

Edit: Looking at the file, it turns out that there was a rejection, Halcyon responded, there was a 2nd "final" rejection, to which Halcyon didn't file an appeal. Interestingly, most of the USPTO rejection was based upon material pulled up from Google archives.
US PTO

Link edited by jonnythan

Charlie99:
Look a bit closer, and I'm pretty sure that you will find that there was an initial rejection, and the "abandonment" is simply that Halcyon didn't try to contest the rejection. Very common sequence of events.

Edit: Looking at the file, it turns out that there was a rejection, Halcyon responded, there was a 2nd "final" rejection, to which Halcyon didn't file an appeal. Interestingly, most of the USPTO rejection was based upon material pulled up from Google archives.
US PTO

Link edited by jonnythan

(Yeah, the USPTO's (fairly recent) discovery of Google has been a Good Thing.)

Back to the topic: You'll find that nearly all applications that don't create a new word will be rejected at least once; you have to prosecute vigorously to get a wordmark through that's composed of common words only, and the shorter it is, the exponentially harder.

Halcyon's response of 20 April can be summarized as "in re. the first point: you're wrong and we're right. once you agree with us will we address the other basic defects in our app."

The examiner fired back by saying "noooo, here's all kinds of cases supporting my position (you dork.) since you wanted to play games, we'll play the FINAL game, and make it harder and more expensive for you to pursue."

(This is a great example of where words don't mean what they appear to; a "final" action is far from final -- but it moves you from JV to varsity without passing go.)

At that point it probably looked like more than it was worth to pursue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom