Normal Fins vs Split Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advokat:
Hey,I currently dive with cheap low quality fins and now I'm looking to get something of high quality. Is there much difference of split fins vs normal fins diving?What are advantages and disadvantages?thanks!
:popcorn:

TSandM:
You've been on the board since 2003, and you think THIS is the hot button topic? Try posting a thread about DIR outside of the DIR forum . . . I can guarantee you 28 pages!

Sorry, but my hot button topic is bigger than your hot button topic:rofl3:

Well let me preface this with I KNOW NOTHING actually I know less than nothing scuba experience this far is 2 1/2 mins in the bottom of a pool 20 years ago when I was 11. I start my class tomorrow so by Monday I will be a hardened professional with copious knowledge :wink:

All the latest reviews and tests that I was able to find say that SF (Split Fins) are better than the NF (normal fins)IN SOME CASES.

The general opinion that I got when looking into SF on the SB board was that the Atomic Split Fins where the shi---- uh the stuff. But outside of the SB board Apollo bio-fin Pro seems to be where it is at. BUT the regular bio-fin is not as good as the NF for tight control where as the Bio-Fin Pro was as good as if not better than the NF.

The few times I have worn fins in my life they were NF and I would say trying to stay afloat in quicksand would be a similar feeling to using fins. So for me I want a fin that is as close to finless as possible when it comes to feel. Tight turns are not a big deal. I am a tour bus not a formula 1 :D

movieflick:
The general opinion that I got when looking into SF on the SB board was that the Atomic Split Fins where the shi---- uh the stuff. But outside of the SB board Apollo bio-fin Pro seems to be where it is at. BUT the regular bio-fin is not as good as the NF for tight control where as the Bio-Fin Pro was as good as if not better than the NF.

I'm more of a NF guy, but have done a lot of research on SF. My main fins are Sherwood Kenesis EXs, the stiff black ones. Recently I bought a pair of Apollo Bio Fin Pro XTs, which are stiffer than the others. Although I have only 6 dives with the SF, I can say that they are much easier to kick on long surface swims, or any UW straight-line swims, or in currents. I can't speak for the floppier SF as I have never used them. The Sherwoods definitely have more power, but it can also be hard to sustain, whereas the Apollos can.

Also consider one size larger if using molded sole boots. I use size 10 Oceanics and had to order the size LL Bio Fin Pro XT. Oh, yeah... forgot to mention with spring straps, too!

I'm also a gear freak and use the right tool for the right job. Still have my USD Rockets that I use once in a while, like when exploring the tunnels and crevices at Shaw's. :D

BabyDuck:
things to remember about 'search' - if you're searching for something with fewer than 4 letters, use the wildcard '*', like 'DIR*' or you won't get results.

also, if you find any thread that's close, read it then look at the very bottom to the place with 'similar threads'. like at the bottom of this thread - several with similar titles and hopefully helpful information. that's a great way to surf scubaboard!

and plain ol' ordinary jetfins. there are no other acceptable options. :wink:
you forgot to mention to reply to all the similar threads no matter how old they are :D

Back
Top Bottom