Not your typical "How to secure octo" thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to run the FFM off of the right, you can still manage this with a 90* elbow or ball swivel on the FFM, it's hose goes under your right shoulder and up, then the long hose comes in next to it and around and up.
I was just thinking something similar. If I route my primary hose under my right armpit then attach with an elbow that will allow my octo on the long hose to come over my left shoulder and rest nicely on my neck so I can connect it to my right d-ring with no interference from anything else.

I assume something like this will work?

The 48" hose you said you bought is a rather annoying length to deal with imho because it isn't long enough to wrap around your body like the 5' and 7' hoses are, but it's too long to not have to tuck into something.
I apologize, I meant 84". I got a full 7' hose.

I much prefer these to elbows as they are more comfortable when turning your head

Cave Adventurers - Swivel - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

Routing of your long hose will then be like any other long hose when it is clipped off, just understand that if you don't use something like an octo keeper, or the attachment that I linked to in the video and use a standard tied bolt snap that in an OOA situation you will have to unclip or cut it off. Is what it is, but I don't like the concept of cutting off bolt snaps on something that I will eventually have to restow, and better to have the ability to at least breathe off of it at a close distance until you can unclip it than to fight it. You can try both quite easily and see what you prefer during OOA drill practice that you should be doing fairly regularly when diving with an FFM since it can get rather exciting

Thanks tbone, I definitely want the ability to quickly tear the octo away. Hopefully by myself but even if another diver does it I'd like it to work. I am going to the pool this weekend to start testing my new rig and for now I am using a simply hose retainer on my d-ring.

My first thought on this is: Why a FFM?

What do you like about it?
This is a question often asked by those who haven't had the pleasure to experience one before. Full face masks offer luxury diving. Fogging and leaks are nigh impossible and often when I go diving I go 20+ times in a row so my jaw and teeth are saved from the pain. No need for a snorkel with a surface air valve. Best of all is being able to get into the classic "in the nose out the mouth" breathing routine for maximum relaxation and dramatically reduced air consumption. It's typically the talk of the boat.

This brings up a good point, is the hog loop the only way to manage a long hose?

No ... my OW instructor used a 7-foot hose in classic octo manner. He used a nylon sleeve to stuff the hose, and secured the sleeve using a bungee and clip to a D-ring. I haven't found anyone else doing this, but it worked well for him. And it was stowed more cleanly than most standard octo arrangements I've seen.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am seeking options and opinions on the best way for me to secure my octo on my rig. I know there are a ton of these threads on this site and many others on the internet however my setup has a caveat. I typically use a FFM and therefor in the case of an OOA scenario I would hand off my octo to the diver in need. Considering this, I have attached a long hose to my octo as opposed to my primary reg. Here are the areas I need help with:

- How should I secure the octo to my BP&W with enough strength to stay put in the sometimes chaotic environments of diving but also so that it can be pulled away by a diver in need of air?

- How should I handle all of the extra hose length? Bungee seemed like a good idea but again if a diver pulls the octo away from me the bungee would keep the hose coiled defeating the purpose.

- How important is it to keep the mouthpiece covered? I would like to keep sand and other particles out but all of the mouthpiece holders I've seen have bad reviews and ratings.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
I am having this same problem. my husband and I do some wreck diving sometimes and it’s nice to have that longer hose in case of an out of air situation.

Boltsnap with breakaway o-ring

1663784656818.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom