Novae - Dive SST-50 Flashlight 1200LM (100M) + MORE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just received two of these from Novae. Dove them yesterday at Blue Heron Bridge.

These are BRIGHT. A really great beam. I mean, really amazing. They have 3 easily adjusted power levels which is great for getting close to critters that might be spooked by too bright a light. The adjustment and on/off magnetic ring is very smooth, and it can be bumped to lower settings if you are thrashing about, but not in normal use. They feel very solid in the hand but not overly heavy. They have good slots at the base for tying off clips or a lanyard (lanyard included).

It was great having lights on a cloudy day as they really brought out the color of the marine life. They were really BRIGHT.

Beam has a pretty tight spot with good halo. Not tech light tight but still very clean and easy to signal my buddy with. As a reef diver I much prefer a broader beam because it shows you more area in glorious color. I thought this light was excellent for what I do.

Obviously, this was not a depth test since our max depth was 18".

The light has a battery indicator with 4 flashes for strongest and one flash for weakest. After 60 minutes of continuous use, my light flashed 3 at the end of the dive. This looks very promising. Will do a burn time test in the pool.

Did I say these are bright? I am looking forward to using these on an upcoming night dive.

For the price, this is an unbelievable deal. I am glad I snapped up two of their last ones before their new shipments come in!

I hope they perform at depth and are as durable over time as they feel. If so then I would say this is the deal of the year!

Update to my previous review. Dove these on a 65' and an 80' dive off of Riveria Beach. Performed flawlessly and still plenty of juice left after 1.5 hours of diving, with the light left on "high" for the entire dive time. Very bright, was nice to have a bright light to shine on the lemon sharks and goliath groupers, and assorted colorful tropicals. The beam lit them up at 15' away. Really adds a nice dimension to the dive.

Further update.

Dove these on a night dive at Blue Heron Bridge. They are crazy bright! I had to turn it down to the "medium" setting to avoid scaring the fish. From what I could see they were far brighter than any other lights (and there were about 6-7 dive groups). For their size, they are just amazing.

I did some burn time tests in my pool. On "high" I got 115 minutes of burn time. I think that is excellent considering the extreme brightness of this setting. I have not tested the lower power levels.

Overall, I have to rate this product very highly. They are solidly made, very bright, compact (I clip mine to a D ring and use an epdm band to hold the head to by harness) and feel very good in the hand. For the price they are just unbeatable.

One caveat, one of mine did come with a bad battery (it only gave 50 minutes of burn compared to the 115 of the other. I am waiting to see how Novae handles this issue. It is not a problem with the light itself as I switched battery packs and re-did the burn test to be sure.

I am not affiiated with Novae in any way and plunked down my cash for these. I am glad I did as these are good products and will be super secondaries once I finally can afford my can light. I do believe these are as bright as several can lights that I have seen.

Hope they do as well over the long term.

I hope this information is useful to anyone looking at these.

I have about 30 dives with mine with many below 80' and have had no issues. The light is very bright and the only negative I have is I wish the beam was a tighter. Most of my dives are in low vis lakes and I usually keep my light on throughout the dive and so far I have had no problems getting two dives (hours) on a set of batteries. A dive buddy has one that would die very quickly and it turned out to be a faulty charger and as I remember it was handled quickly.
For the money it is a heck of a light!

Hello everyone. i'm interesting to buy this product a lot but i have some confusion.

$130.80 - MJ-850 HA-III SST-50 4-Mode 1200-Lumen LED Diving Flashlight Set (2*32650) - Specialty Flashlights according to the this website,runtime is JUST 1 HOUR! and its brand is Magicshine. but it's looking same with Novae's product.The procution names also same(MJ-850).Are they different brand or magicshine is chinese made?(low quality product) which one is high quality?According to the first page notice,the runtime is 3HOURS! how can be this difference?the batteries are same! can yo help me please....if anyone who use this diving flashlight,could you tell me the burntime,runtime with max brightness,max performance (1200lumen)???it's really important for me.thank you....

I and my dive-buddy have the SST-50 and on high mode it's runtime is about 2hrs, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I cant test its "LUMEN" but it brighter than my DiveRite LUX. I wish the beam was a little tighter but I use it all the time. I have probably close to 60 dives on it now and have had no problems. I don't know what you plan on using it for since "could you tell me the burntime,runtime with max brightness,max performance (1200lumen)???it's really important for me" but if it is cave diving or wreck penetration you plan on using it for I would advise against it, the light just isn't robust enough, JMHO !

Lol. China wants America to abide by IP law.

wow, seriously???!!!!! Since when HK/Chinese people ever care about copy right. And even so, posting on a public forum is just in-appropriete. How about contact Novae directly and privately and and Novae take their product off and let us know the outcome.

If I were to monitor products from HK/China and publize everything that has a potential pattern infringlement, 90% of the things made in HK/China will be listed.

I and my dive-buddy have the SST-50 and on high mode it's runtime is about 2hrs, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I cant test its "LUMEN" but it brighter than my DiveRite LUX. I wish the beam was a little tighter but I use it all the time. I have probably close to 60 dives on it now and have had no problems. I don't know what you plan on using it for since "could you tell me the burntime,runtime with max brightness,max performance (1200lumen)???it's really important for me" but if it is cave diving or wreck penetration you plan on using it for I would advise against it, the light just isn't robust enough, JMHO !

thank you very much for your experiences.yeah i understand you have SST-50 but which brand you have?novae or Magicshine??.because, I really can not understand the difference between Novae and Magicshine.but according to my feelings Magicshine is chinese production(you know most of chinese productions have lower quality)but novae is the real brand for the flashlight.which brand is yours?

Back
Top Bottom