O2 clean my regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello!

Wanted to know if it was necessary to O2 clean my Aqualung Titan before using it with Nitrox?

I just got my nitrox cert and understood that anything <40% is fine to use. However, reading the aqualung site suggests to O2 clean the reg? Thoughts around this from the more experienced folks?

David

I wouldn't worry about it. You're not partial pressure blending, and you aren't likely to get anything greater than 36% for ocean diving so it'll be fine. That said, when it goes in for service, many of the good shops will O2 clean at no extra charge over a regular service, so it may be worth asking for, but your reg is perfectly safe with normal nitrox levels.

Many of the manuals say that. The usual tongue-in-cheek comment about this is that they're written by lawyers.

Even if they were partial pressure blending, this wouldn't be contacting your reg. So that's a concern for the tank but not the reg.

Most if not all regs are good for up to 40%, especially the newer models so don't worry about it.

One clear advantage of O2 cleaning of regulators to be used for recreational EAN is it creates another income source for AL dealers. Nothing new to have scuba manufacturers making recommendations and policies that serve the primary purpose of supporting their dealers who are their real customers.

Thanks all, just wanted to make sure my first stage wasn't going to explode L O L. Even though SSI Nitrox told us that we didn't have to O2 clean anything as long as O2 was <40%

Back
Top Bottom