Oceanic Excursion vs. Mares Icon vs. BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks so much for your advice guys!

I’m now looking to go either with a DSS set-up (they seem to have great customer support) or a dive-rite SS back plate and harness + the 32# OMS Single Bladder without retraction bands. I’ve got a few questions though;

Has anyone tried the BP/W Ripcord integrated weight-system? Would you recommend it or should I just go with a rubber weight-belt?

I would also like to know what kind of accessories you guys recommend for the harness;
Will I need something to keep the LPI staying in place (like how Jacket BC’s have that little strap on the left shoulder)?
I also need to pack a back-up light for my night-dives and maybe a float bag or safety sausage, do I strap these on the harness or buy some sort of pocket?

Also, why is the SS plates so much more popular for cold water applications, is it just that it has more weight on it? I was thinking, if for instance I get the Ripcord system, to go with an Aluminium BP and just add some additional weight to the integrated weight system.

Last but not least, if I decide to go with DSS; should I go with the LCD or Torus wing and the Hogarthian or ProFit harness?

Again, many thanks for your advice people, I’m a student and my budget is rather limited so I'm trying to get a good set-up without spending on unnecessary extras.

Cheers

Linder:
Has anyone tried the BP/W Ripcord integrated weight-system? Would you recommend it or should I just go with a rubber weight-belt?

I'd recommend a conventional weight belt, cheap, widely available. Remember you won't have a lot weight on the belt anyway.

Linder:
I would also like to know what kind of accessories you guys recommend for the harness;
Will I need something to keep the LPI staying in place (like how Jacket BC’s have that little strap on the left shoulder)?

Most BP&W's have some provision to retain the corrugated hose / lp hose. Bungee at the dring, or a inner tube loop.

Linder:
I also need to pack a back-up light for my night-dives and maybe a float bag or safety sausage, do I strap these on the harness or buy some sort of pocket?

The best place for pockets is on the your exposure suit. The hogarthian harness easily accommodates a pair of backup lights, one on each shoulder strap, bolt snap clipped to the chest dring and the lower bezel end of the light retained by a loop of bike inner tube.

Linder:
Also, why is the SS plates so much more popular for cold water applications, is it just that it has more weight on it? I was thinking, if for instance I get the Ripcord system, to go with an Aluminium BP and just add some additional weight to the integrated weight system.

The key benefit of a SS plate is the weight that it puts up over you buoyant lungs. I would not recommend using an al plate and compensating by adding weight to your belt. Such a set up will not help promote horizontal trim.

Linder:
Last but not least, if I decide to go with DSS; should I go with the LCD or Torus wing and the Hogarthian or ProFit harness?

Hogarthian harness is always my first recommendation; cheaper, simpler, more widely accepted. Which wing? I'd suggest which ever wing offer the best match of lift capacity to your requirements. There is not enough performance difference between any of the narrow DSS singles wings to make much difference. The one exception is the Torus 35 which is specifically designed for the cold water diver who may be using a lot of ballast on a belt.

Call me if you like, I'd be happy to discuss your requirements

Tobin

Thanks for the quick reply, if I decide to go with a BP/W set-up I will go with DSS (there is nothing better than quick, reliable, customer support). I work/study rather odd hours and given the time diff between Sydney and wherever you are located (California?) I may not be able to call during the week, so I hope you don’t mind me using this forum for a few more questions..

The two wings I’ve been looking at are the LCD 30 and the Torus 26, Full Circle.
I have been using 24lbs on my weight-belt with a Jacket BC (I’m in a 7mm semi-dry wetsuit).

I’m leaning towards removing 3lbs though (the more experienced I get the less weight I seem to need, makes sense I guess) and I assume that I will soon be down to 18lbs with a traditional Jacket BC (I dive 18lbs just fine until my AL 11litre tank gets close to empty and more positively buoyant). I’m just under 180cm (5.8 feet) tall and weigh about 80kg (175lbs). I do most of my diving in Sydney which means fairly cold water during winter.

My previous back-inflated BC had 45lbs of lift but it was obviously far more than I needed.

Would you think a 26 or 30 wing is enough, or should I go with the 35# wing you mentioned in your previous post? (I know this is hard to calculate given you don’t know the exact buoyancy of my exposure suit etc. but give me a qualified guess).

Also, have you ever shipped to Australia? what kind of shipping cost do you recon I would be looking at (no express shipping needed)?

If I know:

What tank you use

How much total ballast you need with that specific tank

And if your current BC is either "well padded" or "minimalistic"

I can pretty closely estimate the buoyancy of your exposure suit.

With that info I can make an accurate recommendation as to wing size.

We have shipped to Australia before, but I would need an address and an exact idea of what we might be shipping to provide a cost.

Tobin

I use a standard ex-rental 11litre AL tank, I believe they are called AL80 in the US? (11litre is roughly 80cft). Its been a while since I sold my Mares back-inflation BC, but with that specific tank and an Oceanic OceanPro (rental) BC I need 24lbs ballast at the moment. The OceanPro is rather normal for a jacket-BC, I’d say it’s more well padded than minimalistic but can’t really claim it qualifies as either of the two.

Link to the OceanPro BC info: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_oceanpro.html

As for the shipping costs. I’ve got a between normal and well trained build, I’m 5.8 feet tall weigh about 175lbs, so I recon I need a medium back-plate?.

So, shipping for a full rig with the hog harness, a stainless steel back-plate, whatever wing you think is suitable + any other accessories you believe I need tank-straps etc, (to get me in the water).

Cheers!

You have about 26 lbs of total ballast, 24 lead, 2 for your reg. If we assume your BC is +4 with an empty bladder, and we know an empty al 80 is +4 lbs then about 8 of your 26 lbs is required to counter your bc and empty tank. That leaves about 18 lbs required to sink your exposure suit. That's certainly reasonable for a 7mm suit on a diver your size.

What is the maximum negative buoyancy of your rig? Assuming a medium SS back plate and harness (-~6 lbs) full al 80 (-2lbs) and regulator (-2) or about -10 lbs. That means you need at least 10 lbs of wing lift to float your rig at the surface with a full tank.

Your exposure suit can loose no more buoyancy than it starts with, or about 18 lbs. That means you need at least 18 lbs of wing lift to be able to compensate for a fully compressed wetsuit.

Given that 18 > 10 you should have at least 18 lbs of lift. We make a LCD 20 and a Torus 26. Either is a good choice. The Torus 26 wing provides a little more margin if you anticipate heavier exposure suits, maybe a drysuit in the future.

I do need an address to calc freight, you can pm the details if you prefer. I can get back to you tomorrow.

Tobin

Linder:
I use a standard ex-rental 11litre AL tank, I believe they are called AL80 in the US? (11litre is roughly 80cft). Its been a while since I sold my Mares back-inflation BC, but with that specific tank and an Oceanic OceanPro (rental) BC I need 24lbs ballast at the moment. The OceanPro is rather normal for a jacket-BC, I’d say it’s more well padded than minimalistic but can’t really claim it qualifies as either of the two.

Link to the OceanPro BC info: http://www.oceanicworldwide.com/p_bcs_oceanpro.html

As for the shipping costs. I’ve got a between normal and well trained build, I’m 5.8 feet tall weigh about 175lbs, so I recon I need a medium back-plate?.

So, shipping for a full rig with the hog harness, a stainless steel back-plate, whatever wing you think is suitable + any other accessories you believe I need tank-straps etc, (to get me in the water).

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom