Old equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppilot

Reaction score
How long is the effective life of scuba equipment? I look at the shiny new stuff and get all lustful.

What I've got now is:

All Scubapro:
G250/Mk10 and an Air II
Steel 76 cylinder
Finseal vest type BCD

Harvey drysuit
Fins, masks, snorkels, etc. all around 15 years old.

This has all been well cared for and maintained. I brought the stuff in to get serviced a few weeks ago, and the clerk at the store laughed at it (or me) :) Of course I'm sure he'd like me to buy new equipment, but do you people feel like using this stuff is a viable option, or has technology progressed too far?

Thanks much!

I too have some of the equipment you own specifically,the Scuba pro stuff and the tank that I purchased used .This gear was featured in a tv production that I leased it to.

As an instructor and diver for 24 years I have collected an assortment of gear that is still in use to-day.

Some of it is better designed than the new stuff.Some of it is comming back into fashion,such as the wing and backplate combo.

Keep it serviced,keep it clean and most importantly,just keep it,use it and enjoy it !

If your local Lds wants to take it on trade,just say no as they will give you nothing for it and turn around and sell it.

Ron

The key is if the stuff is in good working order. If the BC leaks, or the tank fails hydro and vis, then you are out of luck. but, if everything works in good order, then keep using it. The reg should be fine. I would just get the cylinder and the BC checked out . If your LDS doesnt want to service the equipment, find another shop that will, and wont laugh at you.

The Mk 10 G250 is bullet proof and an excellent regulator, and as pointed out above as good as or better than what you could buy now. The Mk 10 first styage is much better for cold water use than it's replacement the Mk 25.

The finseal was also a good jacket style BC and as long as the seams are not leaking I woudl not hesitate to use it.

All my tanks are steel and some go back to the mid '60's as far as age. In my opinion they will outlast aluminum tanks.

If the dive shop does not want to service them, you can send them away for less.
I send my gear to a company in Georgia, not tanks; with the shipping cost they are cheaper than the LDS.

Thanks much for the input, I appreciate it greatly.

I spent a long time working for a dive store when I was 18 to buy this stuff. It was a MAJOR purchase for me at that time, and I'm kind of sentimentally attached to the stuff. I'm glad to know you all think that it is still useful equipment.

There was no problem getting everything serviced, other than that I had to drive an hour and a half to find a Scubapro dealer. I guess the clerk just kind of made me wonder...he really tried to sell me on getting new equipment (his job, I guess,) telling me that the new regulators were so much easier to breathe on, new BCD's were so much better balanced, etc.

Can't wait to start diving again!

As for your regs, they replaced the one I still use and I have been deep and worked hard with mine without any problems whatsoever. The key is as stated previously, service is mandatory with all scuba gear. Not just your seemingly old stuff in fact I might just go out and buy myself a newer replacement version than mine, you know stuff like yours and I bet I can buy it for less than a thousand for a reg. Service it and enjoy it, if your LDS wont help you then ask the board here as I'm sure someone in your area will know of a LDS thats willing to do service for you.
Bill........Dive safe

i started off with older equipment as well...and there is asbsolutely nothing wrong with G250/Mk10 and an Air II
Steel 76 cylinder...i have the same items...EXCELLENT...steel tank ads some weight to your bouancy,i love steel tank...HAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT REGULARLY CHECKED ,RINSE IT WITH FRESH WATER AFTER EVERY DIVE IF YOU CAN,STORE IT COOL ,DRY AND DARK PLACES AND JUST USE CARE WHEN HANDLING...then you will get a long and enjoyable life out of your stuff...replace one piece after another,and remember...WHO CARES HOW FANCY THE LOOKS OR THE COLORS,NO ONE CARES UNDER WATER ...AS LONG AS THE STUFF WORKS !!!
most of my equipment was bought on E-BAY...excellent stuff for an excellent price.

Gear can easily last 20 - 30+ years if properly maintained. You'll probably get tired of it before it wears out or becomes obsolete.

The trick is choosing gear that you will still be happy with 20 years from now.

I have a Mk10/G250 setup that is 20 - 25 years old...it works perfectly and breathes just as well if not better than the new regs out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom