Old Guy Here

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bev'sBoy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm so new to diving I haven't finished the academic portion of PADI'S OWD course. Our daughter and son-in-law got us interested in snorkeling last month and after my first experience , I wanted to go deeper and longer.
My son-in-law PADI certified years ago and he will be my diving buddy, although we live 200 miles apart. I hope to certify in Jan 14, but I have to work out a class schedule with the dive shop. Terry needs a refresher course.
I am really pumped about diving, but it will cut into my bicycling that has been my favorite extracurricular activity for six years.
Beverly (wife) and I are chaperoning our daughter and son-in-law on their western Caribbean cruise in February. This is the second time we've done this. I have to talk with the tax guy to see how I can rate this as a business trip. Why chaperons? Jenny is not yet 50, just a child, and Beverly and I feel obligated to protect her safety.
We'll stop at Roatan, Belize and Cozumel, and all of us want to get in the water, one way or another.
Oh, yeah. Now for the bad news. I'm 75, but I am able to get up in the morning by myself. I do not wear Depends and I do not take so many meds that I own part of a drug store. Cheers to all.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard! :admingreet:

I guess you will do your Open Water in Athens, 111 miles away? Nice quarry.

You can consult with Divers Alert Medical/DAN about your health and meds before committing: 919-684-2948 or 800-446-2671, Mon-Fri 8:30am to 5:00pm EST - no charge. If you continue, you will want their Dive Insurance and not the cheapest option in addition to trip insurance. They do offer trip insurance, but I get that elsewhere.

For your cruise stops, you can do better usually booking your dives with your selected Ops after posting and chatting on the respective geographic forums here. You'll need to know dock & departure times locally, not ship times. Hiring a private DM for your first boat/ocean dive is money well spent, and at Cozumel even if not the first as the drift diving intimidates some. Have a great trip.

Oh, yeah. Now for the bad news. I'm 75, but I am able to get up in the morning by myself. I do not wear Depends and I do not take so many meds that I own part of a drug store. Cheers to all.

Welcome to the grumpy old diver club where a good day is any day you get out of bed before you pee.

Seriously, diving is one of those sports were old guys can keep up with the young folks and have fun doing it.

:admingreet: Welcome to :sblogo:

At only 60 I'm quite sure I have lots of diving ahead of me. As long as you can get your kit to the water you'll have fun. Enjoy and be safe.

Welcome to SB. Remember that age is just a number - my two regular dive buddies are my Dad (73) and his best friend (74).

As my Dad likes to say: "When I dive I feel like I am 60 again!"

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Of course the trip is tax deductible. It is an expense associated with an investment (daughter)

I second the check with DAN re the meds. but if you become active and get dry suit diving at home you might want to think about starting to use depends (that is another story for future though)
Enjoy your trip

Certified, certified. O Lordy I'm certified at last. It has been two months since my first open water dive and my last one today. Miserable weather, instructor shortage, schedule conflicts, cruise, hernia, pneumonia, etc, etc. At times I could have thought there was someone who did not want me to get certified. The saving graces were two dives in Belize and two in Cozumel under the cert "Scuba Diver." Those sites were a 1,000 better than the converted quarry called "288 Lake" south of Houston, but it is better to dive in what you got than not at all. I'm just thankful I got the last certifying dive checked off.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom