OMS BC/W setup. What do I need to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@nicole2 Can you better describe your "mission" for your BC system? It all factors into making the best choices for your situation.

You've mentioned travel and your size, but that is about it for real inputs. How about for starters ...

Dive environment: warm and blue only? cold and dark? ....
Exposure Protection: wetsuit thickness range? drysuit?
Future goals: deep? wreck? tech?
Cylinders: single cylinder only? backmount-doubles? sidemount?

Is the trim pocket same as weight pockets? Also, should I also buy a pair of weight pocket just in case I need them?

Trim pockets are typically smaller, sized for 4-5 lb weights, and don't come with any "quick release" setup. As for the weight pockets, what others said: how much lead do you normally carry and where?

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying my own gear now and I'm looking at OMS BC/W. I have about 200 dives and am comfortable with my buoyancy. I've been only diving with rental gears (I only own mask, fins, and computer) and I'm not quite sure what I need to purchase for a complete BC/W system.

1. Should I get the comfort harness system or the backpack system? I heard the latter is easier to deal with but I like the design on the comfort harness system. (yes, it's all about the design! :wink:
2. I'm a 24 y/o female 5'2'' and 140 lbs and I'm not sure if I'd need 27lbs or 32 lbs for the wing. I live in Arizona so I'd be always traveling to dive, whether driving or flying. I'm going to get the AL plate with the wing.

Are there any other accessories I'd need along with these?

Thank you in advance for your help!
I have dove and currently dive OMS harnesses and back plates. I personally prefer a harness versus webbing and a backplate . I have dove aluminum, SS , and composite backplates and could never really tell the difference other than more or less weight added to my pockets. I just switched to the OMS IQ lite and really enjoy it. My main reason for purchase was a light comfortable bc that could travel . I was surprised to find out that I like the IQ lite even more without a plate installed (diving single steel 100) . If your looking for a single complete purchase the iq lite would be an good choice . Really the comfort harness would prob be less comfortable and heavier to travel with. Comfort harness is nice if you plan on carrying swings or going more tek but from you original post it appears like you just like the oms and want a nice full set up bc . Also you may want to look at the HOG set up . As many people will point out on here .... you can buy a harness ,wing and webbing cheaper but your question was about the oms and I myself just don’t like the feel of a plan harness when diving in a skin.

OMS comfort harness system comes in S,M,L and I think S would fit me! Yea.. backplate does not come in different sizes..
Do you recommend any other brand? I chose OMS simply of the design. Do you have any recommendations? I'm trying to order everything online because none of the dive shops around me has OMS BC in their store for me to try.

The backplate size plays a more important role especially for a shorter person.

Harness is just webbing, you can trim them easily. The S, M, L of the comfort harness is just the should we pad length. I would say, to save some money, just get basic one piece webbing harness. Comfort harness is usually less comfortable.

Is the trim pocket same as weight pockets? Also, should I also buy a pair of weight pocket just in case I need them?
They have the comfort harness and smartstream harness.. not sure which one is a basic continuous one :( Why would you recommend a basic one?

Depend on your size again, those weight pockets may not work too well. With standard size plate, if you are a small person, the amount is real estate on your wiast straps is limited. Those oms weight pocket maybe too long, and don't leave you much space at all. This is speaking from a personal experience

What is the cost for the OMS setup? It makes more sense to give an alternative suggestion of similar cost.

They’re suggesting a more affordable option. Plus with OMS, I believe their harness has their name all over the danged thing. Huge walking ad! :wink:

So as Halcyon the H wedding ,

@nicole2 Can you better describe your "mission" for your BC system? It all factors into making the best choices for your situation.

You've mentioned travel and your size, but that is about it for real inputs. How about for starters ...

Dive environment: warm and blue only? cold and dark? ....
Exposure Protection: wetsuit thickness range? drysuit?
Future goals: deep? wreck? tech?
Cylinders: single cylinder only? backmount-doubles? sidemount?

Well, I've only dove in the Red Sea with rental gears and I usually wore 5mm suit + 6kg(13lbs) lead.
Since I'll be moving to AZ soon, I'll probably dive mostly in California and may also take trips to Caribbeans. I also plan on going to Southeastern Asia. So basically all over... I also want to try diving in cold water, like Iceland.
I haven't dove in SoCal yet, but for my knowledge I would need a drysuit. For other regions, 3mm and 5mm (or even a swimsuit) should suffice. Although I got my divemaster, I'm still a recreational diver! I enjoy going deep but not so much in tech yet. I'm planning on doing single cylinder only!

Hope this is a good amount of information!

Trim pockets are typically smaller, sized for 4-5 lb weights, and don't come with any "quick release" setup. As for the weight pockets, what others said: how much lead do you normally carry and where?

Thanks! I dove with 5mm + 6kg (13lbs) in the Red Sea. Never dove in California, where I'll be diving mostly in. But from what I heard, divers usually take in more weights in the Red Sea due to its higher salinity than other seas. But I'll be diving in a drysuit in Cal..

I have dove and currently dive OMS harnesses and back plates. I personally prefer a harness versus webbing and a backplate . I have dove aluminum, SS , and composite backplates and could never really tell the difference other than more or less weight added to my pockets. I just switched to the OMS IQ lite and really enjoy it. My main reason for purchase was a light comfortable bc that could travel . I was surprised to find out that I like the IQ lite even more without a plate installed (diving single steel 100) . If your looking for a single complete purchase the iq lite would be an good choice . Really the comfort harness would prob be less comfortable and heavier to travel with. Comfort harness is nice if you plan on carrying swings or going more tek but from you original post it appears like you just like the oms and want a nice full set up bc . Also you may want to look at the HOG set up . As many people will point out on here .... you can buy a harness ,wing and webbing cheaper but your question was about the oms and I myself just don’t like the feel of a plan harness when diving in a skin.

Thank you! My main concern now is if OMS backplate would work for my size or not.. Do you use 32lbs wing? Also, is it okay using iq lite without a backplate? I heard the backplate helps with staying in a proper trim.

Depend on your size again, those weight pockets may not work too well. With standard size plate, if you are a small person, the amount is real estate on your wiast straps is limited. Those oms weight pocket maybe too long, and don't leave you much space at all. This is speaking from a personal experience

What is the cost for the OMS setup? It makes more sense to give an alternative suggestion of similar cost.

Well, if I plan on buying the wing + comfort harness (but from reading comments here I probably shouldn't) + accessories, it would cost ~$500.
I like the design the most :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom