OMS Slipstreams vs. Dive Rite XTs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the good info here everyone. I have a question about the Slipstream fin.

I have very sinky feet. (Which as newb is probably as much to with bad trim technique as anything...) I currently dive Sherwood Tritons which are basically positive, but I want a stiffer, shorter fin. I've tried SP Jets and they're just way to negative for me. In everyone's experience here, would the Slipstream be a good option in terms of buoyancy? I ask because the only LDS that can get them in won't take returns after diving them. If it makes a difference to anyone, I'm diving in the Pacific North West. Drysuit, rock boots, BP/W, steel 120 single tank, etc.

I use slipstreams paired with 6.5mm scubapro boots. The thick boots tend to offset and negative effects of the slip streams and they are comfortable. It may be to do with your weight placement rather than you fins.

If one could have an input on sizing.

I cant try the XT locally. I dive an abyss 7mm dry suit with regular boots attached to the suit. Shoes size is 12.

I also wear 5mm wet booties when warm water diving. Do you think the xt would fit both in XL size?

I just tried my new slipstreams yesterday, after using the DRs for the last couple years. Both are very light in the water, both are tough and comfortable. The slipstreams are softer in the water, almost like I'm swimming in something thicker, like cream. It's very pleasant. They are stiff enough to work fine for all my kicks, but not as stiff as the DR fins. The DR fins feel very precise with every move, which is great most of the time, but sometimes means there is a little more feedback than you want - it's like the fins catch the water and sort of resist as you try to reposition your foot for the next kick, especially when helicopter or back-kicking. The slipstreams feel effortless, like, totally effortless.

I'm not giving my DR fins away just yet. I think they are probably faster, which means they may be better in high-flow caves. On the other hand, the slipstreams are shorter and have more area closer to the foot, so less foot movement may be required for the same maneuver, and you're less likely to inadvertently kick something in a smaller space. This is why I decided to try them in the first place. I don't know if that applies to you. If you're new, or OW diving, the slipstreams are softer and much less abusive on the legs during flutter kicking all out, but if your legs can take it the DR fins will move more water.

Re: sizing. I wear a 10.5-11 shoe (US), and I wear a L DR XT fin and a size XL in slipstreams.

Last edited:
Just to update everyone on this old thread, a few months ago I had the chance to test the Slipstreams side-by-side with my old Quattros. While the speed of the fins is about the same, there is definitely much more "torque" with the Slipstreams. The Quattros felt floppy by comparison. I have also found that the stiffness and shape of the Slipstreams lends itself well to smaller precision kicks. The extra torque becomes very necessary when trying to push two steel tanks through the water, as I learned when I took my sidemount course. The Slipstreams have now become my primary fins. Just took them with me on a 133ft lake dive today.

p.s. This was not meant to be a knock on the Mares Avanti Quattros. They're great fins and I'd still recommend them to anyone looking for a good "all around" fin. The stiffer OMS Slipstreams just worked better for my style of diving.

Last edited:
For performance I can't fault the DR. On vacation, I could accelerate past others into current even though I was dragging a slung AL 80 as well (as the back gas)

But we (my wife and I - she also uses DR) both invested in Apex RX3 fins. She loves her's, I'm still not sold, although I think I had't adjusted my finning technique especially when driving into current. When I switch back to my DR (on a site that had a lot of current so I wanted something I knew well) it was as though I had planks of wood on my feet.

I still prefer my DR, but appreciate the slightly shorter and slightly lighter RX3's

If only DR made the XT in white....

Hello all... At the time of writing this I've been diving with a pair of Mares Quattro's. While they're great fins, I'm looking to upgrade to something stiffer but still neutrally buoyant.

I've narrowed my choices down between the OMS Slipstreams and the Dive Rite XTs. Anyone have any experience with one or both of these and would like to add your 2 cents? What are the differences and which of these two you prefer?
Slipstreams are virtually the same as jets but much lighter, they almost look like they are from the same mold although the foot pocket is slightly larger. Stiffer than quattros better for backfinning. I use them for SM.

Back
Top Bottom