Online Purchase Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobby T

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All!

Looking to start buying some gear. I'm going to start with a wrist dive computer. My local shop is quoting me approx. $450 for a Uwatec Prime. I see them online at LeisurePro, ScubaToys, etc. in the mid to upper $200's. Any real downside to purchasing online??? Am I going to get the same equipment if I do? Thanks!

Hi Bobby

I love my LDS but some things are just cheaper on line. The general rule I follow is if there is a chance they (LDS) will have to fix it I will by from my LDS if not and I can find it significantly cheaper on line I go for it. Personally I have two Uwatec Tec 2g's one LDS and one Leisure Pro. They are the same exact computer with only two differences one the price and two the Leisure Pro unit does not have a warranty. Hope this helps

I don't think you'll see it on Scubatoys website as ScubaPro/Uwatec doesn't allow online sales in the U.S..I don't believe Scubatoys is an authorized Scubapro store either.

LeisurePro will provide a matching warranty of their own as they're also not a ScubaPro dealer. Read it here:
Customer Service | LeisurePro.com

I've bought from both Scubatoys and LeisurePro. My personal opinion mirrors OMFSDiver above, I buy regs/computers locally.
I've bought one BC locally then saved by buying the 2nd from Divers Direct for a lot less than my LDS quoted.

Last edited:
You are correct about ScubaToys Sir. It must have been some other site. I'm actually thinking about the Tec 2G instead. So would I be getting the latest and greatest model if I buy it from LiesurePro?

I have nothing against buying from online stores such as LeisurePro and ScubaToys, as I have purchased from them at much lower prices than my LDS would give me.
But I think you should give your LDS the chance to match the online shop's price. You may not get an exact match but if it's close you should give your LDS the business.

BobbyT,

You will be getting the latest and greatest Uwatec dive computer when you buy it from us. As OMFSdiver stated, the only real difference in the computers is the price you pay and of course you still get an equivalent warranty through LeisurePro so you won't be left high and dry if something goes wrong. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Hi Bobby

They are the same exact computer with only two differences one the price and two the Leisure Pro unit does not have a warranty. Hope this helps

not that this horse has not been beaten to death but it makes it all the more astonishing. Anything bought from Leisure Pro has the same or a better warranty than the manufacturer offers. it's a very simple concept but apparently not simple enough.

If you've done the research and have decided what you want based on that, buy online if its cheaper.

If you've been hanging around the LDS asking their opinions/advice I think courtesy dictates
buying it from your LDS.

At least as far as Scubapro/Uwatec is concerned, no authorized dealer is permitted to sell over the net. That means that any on-line dealer selling Scubapro/Uwatec is either not an authorized dealer (e.g. LeisurePro) or is about to lose their franchise because they are violating their dealer agreement (as was the case with scubastore.com). Non-authorized shops are dealing in what the industry knows as "gray market" goods. These are items which were purchased by the on-line store from a legitimate dealer at some greatly reduced price, and then are resold by the on-line store. Scubapro spends a very large amount of money each year buying gray market goods off the internet just so they can then track the serial number and then go shut down the dealer who sold them.

Scubapro/Uwatec will not provide warranty service on any items which did not come from an authorized dealer. For something like a BC or a regulator or a computer, this is a very big deal. Warranty returns are not at all uncommon. Quite often, Scubapro returns a brand new item in response to a request for warranty service on a used item.

One other point worth mentioning abuot gray market goods is that quite often they are obsolete versions. I've seen some very strange versions of Scubapro regulators come in for repair, and when I check they invariably turn out to have been on-line purchases. Needless to say, these regulators don't get the free repair parts for life service that items purchased from a legitimate dealer receive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom