Open-Ended Bans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@LetterBoy, he who lacks empathy living on the edge the Earth with over 25,000 post is surely on the "parol board". I'm going to follow you. :)

Stand in line, but do not park so that you obstruct the view from the van parked down the street from the house, or it will end badly for you...

I say we have a "ban him forum?" and like a true democracy, we all get to vote... Or maybe even a form of SB jury duty. Lol

Jury?

angrymob.gif
angrymob.gif
angrymob.gif

Lynch mobs are far more direct, and allow full participation.

I apologize for missing that question... Any suspension with a term limit is explicitly stated. If it says you are suspended without any such limit, then you are suspended indefinitely. We reserve the latter for spammers and users who have had several "timed" suspensions and have not learned their lesson(s).

FWIW, the abuse@ScubaBoard.com is forwarded to NetDoc@ScubaBoard.com. Either works just fine.

...//... If it says you are suspended without any such limit, then you are suspended indefinitely. ...
So, if a community member is banned, he/she will be presented with a log-in screen that will always state both the reason for the ban and explicitly states the duration?

Or are you saying that if only a reason is given without any length of time being offered, then they are permabanned? If so, it may be worthwhile to remove the ambiguity by clearly stating that this is a permaban.

Edit for clarity:
The banned member is presented with a screen (on a log-in attempt) that only states the offense. No indication is (or was ever) given as to the length of this ban's duration. I see this as poor policy. And that is precisely what I mean when I say "arbitrary" or open-ended. So what is it? Maybe she will just go away then it becomes a permaban. Maybe she will challenge it and then somebody will have to make a decision as to the duration.

I'm asking for nothing more than a policy clarification.

Last edited:
So, if a community member is banned, he/she will be presented with a log-in screen that will always state both the reason for the ban and explicitly states the duration?

Or are you saying that if only a reason is given without any length of time being offered, then they are permabanned? If so, it may be worthwhile to remove the ambiguity by clearly stating that this is a permaban.

Edit for clarity:
The banned member is presented with a screen (on a log-in attempt) that only states the offense. No indication is (or was ever) given as to the length of this ban's duration. I see this as poor policy. And that is precisely what I mean when I say "arbitrary" or open-ended. So what is it? Maybe she will just go away then it becomes a permaban. Maybe she will challenge it and then somebody will have to make a decision as to the duration.

I'm asking for nothing more than a policy clarification.

I don't understand your confusion. People don't get banned (board wide) on a first offence unless they are a spammer. Typically, people get thread banned, forum banned etc. And sometimes board wide bans with the duration outlined in their notification along with appeal process which is in the TOS. Usually they are familiar with that option after a few "minor" bans.

If, after all that, I were to receive a notice that I have been banned, without any time limit, I would take that to mean there has been no time limit (unlike those I got previously). I would also be aware of my appeal options due to my past experiences. Does this help clarify for you?

Last edited:
I don't understand your confusion. ...//.... Usually they are familiar with that option after a few "minor" bans. ...//...
Hi Marg, thanks for responding.

The person in question had a single "timed ban" in the past. I totally get the fact that I don't have both sides of the issue. However, I couldn't possibly imagine a permaban for what I observed and "know" to be true. First-hand information, she was never given a duration for her second timed offense. Thus my confusion. Again, I don't have all the facts. I do know that she twisted some very powerful people...

I was given a timed ban. Never asked for it to be lifted. Thought it would be automatic and then it seemed it was when the site was overhauled. I even posted in the area. Shortly after, with no notice, the ban went into effect again. It should have expired months ago. Not that big of a deal since to see the area one can just log out and view it.

@Jim Lapenta, Single forum bans are always indefinite. If we have to ask you more than a couple of times to respect the special rules in a particular forum, than rather waste more of our time, we're just going to cull you from that forum. I remember that particular ban from accidents and incidents, I believe, and you were given lots of warnings, some even from me.

Our minds tend to justify our own actions in many ways. Often they won't recall the multiple bans or warnings, because it's just not convenient to accept personal responsibility. Most of these bans take several days and sometimes weeks for mods to discuss and come to a decision, Rarely are they unanimous and we've lost a few mods who could not accept a particular outcome... particularly if we didn't suspend an account. Yes, we've had some mean spirited mods, but we've managed to cull them one way or another. We have evolved over the years, but our primary focus is to keep ScubaBoard as friendly and relevant as we can. It's not an easy job and our current batch of mods are the humblest, kindest, least self serving group I have ever had the honor to be associated with. Will we make mistakes? Sure. The only way to stop making mistakes is to die and that's not an option for us. We do the best we can often under the most critical and jaundiced eyes. Most here love our community and want to see it prosper, but some are clearly trying to advance their own agendas at the cost of our collective civility. Mods are here to protect the many from the few. Don't take it personally when you're moderated or even banned. To paraphrase Spock: the needs of the many outweigh the desires of a few.

I feel bad. I've neither been suspended nor banned, permanently or temporarily. I feel left out.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom