Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No, it looks like crap to me

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes, I am a geek and want to see the gear used in the movie

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

**SPOILERS**

As for the shark scenes, we saw a lot of shark fins on the surface while feeding on a school of... something (but the seagulls were feeding, too. Anyone else think "vultures!" when Daniel saw them?) As for the attacks:

a) Midday. Susan is floating and asleep, nauseous after her seasickness meds wore off. Daniel has also fallen asleep and drifted away from her. We see an overhead shot of her, then a grey shape glides under her... then another... She lurches in the water as something bumps her, but her first concern is that her husband is nowhere to be found, so she yells his name and begins swimming. He wakes up and hears her and they reunite. Only then does she notice that her leg hurts....
When Daniel puts on his mask and regs to investigate, he finds some small holes in the back of her thigh where a shark has grabbed her, then released. Apparently the wetsuit and the BC kept it from pulling her under, and it spat her out. Swimming away from the blood trail probably helped, too. It looked like a six to eight inch span, but no real bleeding (maybe the tight wetsuit helped.)
Daniel tells her that she must have cut herself on some coral, or maybe a fish took a nip out of her, but says it was not a shark bite. Later she gets occasional bumps and passes, but no other direct attacks.

b) Late afternoon, and Daniel and Susan hear a navigation buoy's bell (?) and begin swimming for it. Sharks are finning around them, so Daniel gets out his big, shiny knife and holds it by his leg. Shiny, shiny knife, gleaming in the water...
Daniel cries out and begins screaming that he's been bitten. Susan tries to calm him. Blood fills the water around them. She puts on her mask and regs to see.
A fist-sized chunk has been taken from the back of his calf, bleeding quite a bit. Earlier, they had taken off their weight belts and dropped the weights, so she uses the webbing to cover and close the wound, cutting off the amount of blood in the water. They swim away, apparently forgetting the buoy.
Oh, and Daniel dropped the knife.

c) Night, and the screen in black except for lightning flashes as a storm rolls in. Daniel is fighting panic when he begins screaming again, saying that he's been hit again. Underwater shots show flashes of sharks coming in, and another ragged wound in Daniel's calf. With no light and no way to tell how badly her husband is hurt, Susan can only hold him and try to keep him conscious.

d) Dawn, and Susan finally realizes that her husband has passed away in the night, probably from shock and blood loss. The sharks are keeping their distance. She takes off his BC and lets Daniel drift away from her. Unable to resist, she turns around and watches as his body is bumped and twisted in the water, eventually being pulled under.

e) Watching the feeding frenzy around her husband, Susan chooses to take off her BC and drown herself rather than wait any longer. We see her head lift up and drop below the surface... the BC bobs away in the current... fade to black.

So, in contrast to other movies about shark attacks: no bodies bit in half, no bleeding stumps, no long scenes where the actor screams as he's torn apart. No Volkswagon-sized sharks. They even pet a nurse shark during the beginning of their dive (not a good way to feed the marine life.) The final scene shows a captured shark being cut open to find... their camera. And it looked like one of the larger sharks in the water with them.

It would appear that fear of sharks played as big a role in their deaths as actual sharks. When Susan gives up hope, the search party is already looking for her, and she hadn't been in the water 24 hours. She's tired, dehydrated, and has just witnessed her husband's body being taken apart, but they didn't seem to approach until after his corpse drifted away.

Trisha:
The Bad....
c) , it looked like Daniel hopped into bed naked with a well-timed sheet toss, but later he's doing the Tarzan Dance after a bug -- in his shorts? He had to put clothes on for that? .

Well that part is easily explained! She said no! So he put his shorts on. No sense in being disappointed and cold too. Happens to me all the time. :D

Other diving moving have been mentioned in this thread. What are they? Sorry I'm not a movie buff. All I really come up with is the Abyss. Nemo doesn't count...does it?

Other movies with some diving:

Beneath the 12-Mile Reef. Robert Wagner and Terry Moore, 1953. Interesting footage of hardhat diving at Key West and Tarpon Springs, Florida.

Jaws. Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, 1975. The film that put monster sharks on the map, based on Peter Benchley's novel.

The Deep. Nick Nolte, Robert Shaw, Jacqueline Bisset, 1977. From the Peter Benchley novel, hunting for treasure and a cache of drugs off Bermuda.

The Abyss. Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, 1989. Deep-sea divers on a rescue mission.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life. Angelina Jolie, Gerard Butler, 2003. Early scenes of self-propulsion vehicles and cooperative sharks.

Finding Nemo. Albert Brooks, Ellen DeGeneres (voices) 2003. Pixar Studios feature-length cartoon. Dentists in wetsuits.

And anything with "Shark" in it. Or a picture of a shark on the cover. Although I have to say most of these are beyond hopeless.

(Information from imdb.com)

I saw Shark Attack 2 on TV the other day. In case you've forgotten about this one, it's the one where they have great whites roaring like lions. I was almost rolling on the floor laughing...

You gotta rent Shark Attack 3:Megladon. Not to spoil it, but be careful drinking soda unless you want to give your husband a quick shower.
How do you get sharks to roar, anyway? Maybe if they put that on the trailers we would be better warned.

Anybody ever see the Al Giddings 'Ocean Quest" (not sure if that's the correct title) when he went outside the shark cage with 3---yes, count them---3 great whites swimming around him. When he had a hard time keeping all three in sight, he called it quits and went back to the cage. That actually got my heart pumping.

Barracuda2

Back
Top Bottom