Votes: 13 34.2%
  • No, it looks like crap to me

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes, I am a geek and want to see the gear used in the movie

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To those of yall who say don't waste your money: How much cash do you blow on gear, travel, charters and "official apparel." You can't spend 7 bucks to go see a diving related movie? If anything think of the seven bucks as an investment. Its worth it just to sound educated when a non-diving friends asks your opinion on the flick.

I read someone in this thread say that the movie felt low budget and the actors were reading their lines. There is a reason for this.....it WAS low budget. It was never meant to be a polished blockbuster appearing in major theaters across the nation. Chris Kentis and Laura Lau put their own money up and filmed this on weekends and holidays. If anything they should be given kudos for their dedication. I saw Kentis being interviewed by Letterman. He looked nervous and was very poorly spoken. Lets hold this against the movie too.

When I first started seeing previews I thought "man, what b.s" but had to check it out for myself. Yeh its not a classic and there are technical mistakes but it was neat seeing the rec dive industry on the big screen (even though the industry is portrayed as incompetent). It should be interesting to see how the industry responds.

And when is nudity really unnecessary?!?!

Lighten up

Okay the War Department and I just came back from the movie.

I have seen a lot worse movies. As a diver I agree it is filled with technical improbabilites. It had a surprise ending for me. (so I won't tell what it is :D)

It did make me anxious to want to go diving. I don't get to dive in the summer.

As far as the sack scene--Hey its Hollywood. There has to be a sex scene. I am surprised they didn't have them smoking their last cigarette together out there in the middle of the ocean.

On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 6.

The Good....
a) I liked the actors. It wasn't Brad Pitt and Jennifer Annison, but hey! The carping and moaning about who's bright idea this was sounded on-key.
"I wanted to go skiing!"

b) Those were real sharks! Eeek!! Check the scene where Susan is drifting asleep -- oh, man! They couldn't pay me to do that! No Bruce the Shark having hydraulic problems here.

The Bad....
c) Gratuitous nudity. How is it that Susan was in the buff, it looked like Daniel hopped into bed naked with a well-timed sheet toss, but later he's doing the Tarzan Dance after a bug -- in his shorts? He had to put clothes on for that? I mean, I got it, he's the hunter/protector just like with the knife in the water, but still.

The Ugly....
d) I've never been on a dive boat. This makes me want to buy not only a safety sausage, but Day-Glo wetsuit, obnoxiously large dive bag, Nixon Halloween mask... anything to make a lasting impression on the crew.

In conclusion, I checked around to find a budget theatre. Big screen is interesting, especially for the night scenes. Just don't expect any Oscars.

:06:
well, I was looking forward to seeing this movie as it is not to often one comes out with so much attention placed on our sport (there are some other great ones out there though)

sounds like this one is a dud
I'll probably wait for the rental release rather than go to the cinemas

I haven't seen it yet but I will soon. Even with all of the negative comments from most of the people here, I like watching movies having to do with diving sport. There are some great ones. What did you think of it, really.

Steve

Saw the movie yesterday, not an acadamy award winner but it was worth the admission price. I've seen things just like this on every dive boat but not all in combination to the same folks. The series of mistakes by all involved occur alot. Does anyone know where it was filmed?

If I were to guess, I'd say it was filmed in the Bahamas (where most scuba scenes are filmed), but then again it looked so low budget maybe it was somewhere else. I didn't like it at all. it wasn't worth the 9.50 admission price at all.

My question to the experts is: was that real shark behavior? Would that many really circle them in such density for so long before actally biting? It seems to me that there were plenty of other fish around while they were diving and having fun, then as soon as the dive boat stranded them, there was nothing but a cr*pload of sharks, all hungry with nothing else around to eat.

If it indeed was filmed in the Bahamas, Carribean reef sharks are plentiful, but speaking from experience, (but far from being an expert), I don't think shark behavior as portrayed in this film is normal.

The notion that this would scare off divers or potential divers is preposterous. It was clear to several non-divers I have spoken to that this scenario was the result of extreme carelessness (I wouldn't call them "innocent mistakes" as the movie website does). If anything, this could be a lesson in what not to do for inexperienced divers.

As for those who are questioning the veracity of this movie - hey, it's entertainment. Even though I'm a professional musician by trade, I thought "Amadeus" and "Immortal Beloved" (about Mozart and Beethoven, respectively) were entertaining no matter how wildly inaccurate the events represented were.

P. S. If you think you might have any inkling that this is a movie you want to see, I say definitely see it on the big screen. I know my modest little 15" set would not do it justice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom