Opinions on drysuit dump valve placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I prefer the forearm dump. I have another suit with an upper arm dump (on the outside of the arm) and it is definitely not as easy to exhaust.

As for the forearm real estate... my forearm dump sits on the back of the forearm and I wear my compass (when I can find it) on the inside edge of my forearm. I use the goodman handle as a thumb grip... i.e. not with the ballast on the back of my hand.

The tiny flapper valve doesn't interfere with the ballast assembly. The higher profile valves are a different story.

jagfish:
No problems with accidental venting (so far). However, would have to say that "real estate" in that vicinity is scarce for a DIR configuration. Wearing a wrist compass and then using an 18 watt light with the long ballast assembly can get a bit busy in the left wrist area...but not prohibitively so...

If I were getting a new suit I would opt for the small non-adjustable flapper only valve on the forearm. I always leave the larger adjustable valve wide open so it is unnecessarily large.

Did I say new suit? Hmmm.... the old Andy's is getting a bit thin in places. :rolleyes:

dbgordon:
Have any of you experienced any problems with accidental venting or tangling while dealing with your light cord, long hose, stage bottles, scooters, etc that you wouldn't have experienced if it was on your shoulder?

I've had a forearm dump on my suit for around 250 dives. It is easier to dump than the shoulder, especially if you're learning to use a drysuit, but is always hanging up on my stage bottles when I'm using the waist d-ring or getting something out of my pocket. Mine will even spin partially closed after doing that multiple times. I'm getting it removed because of that. It will dump accidentally on occasion, but it hasn't happened in the ocean yet so I wouldn't worry about that to much.

rob

Uncle Pug:
If I were getting a new suit I would opt for the small non-adjustable flapper only valve on the forearm. I always leave the larger adjustable valve wide open so it is unnecessarily large.

Did I say new suit? Hmmm.... the old Andy's is getting a bit thin in places. :rolleyes:

Interesting about the flapper valve. I had asked DUI about it what I had the other installed, but it was described to me as a valve used by the guys that jump out of helicopters. No adjustment, all or nothing. They talked me out of it...

Munin...
Suprised you have had accidental venting. When in a horizontal position (or even vertical for that matter) virtually everything I can imagine touching would be below the arm. If the button were pressed accidentally while manipulating a stage, checking spg or putting hand in pocket, the air should be in a position further up the arm, precluding any venting.

In what situation did air unintentionally escape?

jagfish:
In what situation did air unintentionally escape?

Going through vertical restrictions when my arms are out in front of my body to guide my way through. It dumps every time since my forearms are the highest point. Having to pause midway through will cause so much gas loss that I have to close the valve. It hasn't been a problem in the ocean, except for the way it hangs up. YMMV.

Dan Gibson:
I'd say that placement is a little bit off and would be tough to dump. It should be closer to in line with the thumb when you twist your wrist so the thumb is pointed up.

My DC is just a tiny bit off in the direction you mention. No too far, but I find it harder to dump than others who got lucky when DC actually placed it correctly. From my experience, this has been a typical hit or miss item by the manufacturer.

You might have called it exactly here. I dove for the first time with my new drysuit yesterday (with the valve a little off like you suggested it sounded) - I know, I didn't think ahead enough to query the board with this question BEFORE ordering the suit. Dumb me.

Anyways, I had problems dumping by lifting my arm back. My buddy said that whenever I tried he never saw bubles coming out. Several times I had to stop, go vertical, and put my left arm up so that it would vent. Granted, I'm a new drysuit diver so this all might just be learning curve.

At this point the decision for me to make is whether or not to send it back and get the valve moved back to the shoulder location. I appreciate the feedback on this that everybody is sharing.

-Dan

Munin:
Going through vertical restrictions when my arms are out in front of my body to guide my way through. It dumps every time since my forearms are the highest point. Having to pause midway through will cause so much gas loss that I have to close the valve. It hasn't been a problem in the ocean, except for the way it hangs up. YMMV.

Yup
Guess that would do it...just open ocean diving here.
I suppose you just shut down your valve when going through such restrictions...

dbgordon:
At this point the decision for me to make is whether or not to send it back and get the valve moved back to the shoulder location. I appreciate the feedback on this that everybody is sharing.

-Dan
Give it some time Dan.

I've been closing the drysuit valve after taking the squeeze of at 30 feet on the decent. when I start to ascend , I open the valve 1/2 of a turn to dump . I'm interested to know the veiw of the DIR folks on this practice. I don't use the suit for buoancy so out of controled ascent hasn't been a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom